Does anyone have a Samsung S3 AND know how to work it?

Options
jenniewb
jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I've got a Samsung S3. Aside from the bloat ware there are a few issues I can't seem to change/get rid of and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

1. I have a slow phone. I have had it checked, nope, it's apparently normal to have it be so slow. But quite often I will press the home button twice (as in one per 5 seconds) and the phone thinks I'm asking for the voice direction page. (Which I'm not). It then takes a further 5 seconds to get rid of the voice direction screen.
Is there any way to disable this or get it off the phone? It's pointless for me and I've never used it.

2. On playing games, reading emails or just about anything (most things) the side-bar menu shows a tab on the side of the screen which really gets in the way and is easy to accidentally tap. Is there a way to disable or get rid of the side-bar menu? If so, how?!

3. Why when I disable notifications do apps then decide weeks later to start sending me notifications? I know how to disable notifications per app but not how to get rid of them permanently. Is there a way to do this?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have an S5. I can answer number 2... If you hold the tab you can move it to anywhere in the screen. I find this menu very handy as there is no swipe up menu like on ios for shortcuts.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have a browse through your settings pages .
    You will probably find an in depth user manual on the support pages S3 Samsung UK .
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jenniewb wrote: »

2. On playing games, reading emails or just about anything (most things) the side-bar menu shows a tab on the side of the screen which really gets in the way and is easy to accidentally tap. Is there a way to disable or get rid of the side-bar menu? If so, how?!

If its the same as the side menu on the Galaxy Note, it can be switched off (only temporarily, it comes back either after a preset time or reboot) by pressing and holding the back button at the bottom right of the screen.
    ====
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Press hold power, up and home, let go of power button, select restore factory setting.
    Plenty of videos on youtube.
    everything is reset, any data or saved bits on the phone are lost.
    Main thing is it will remove the "update" which turns the 3 in to a door wedge in hope you will buy a new phone.

Once restored, turn off updates in the settings.
    You will have a fresh install of android and the phone will be much quicker.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • Rusty!
    Rusty! Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes your phone is slow. It is three years old now.

I dunno what the poster above me is talking about, but a factory reset will not remove any updates that have been installed.
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Rusty! wrote: »
    Y

I dunno what the poster above me is talking about, b

Think we gathered that already.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    jenniewb wrote: »
    I've got a Samsung S3. Aside from the bloat ware there are a few issues I can't seem to change/get rid of and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.

1. I have a slow phone. I have had it checked, nope, it's apparently normal to have it be so slow. But quite often I will press the home button twice (as in one per 5 seconds) and the phone thinks I'm asking for the voice direction page. (Which I'm not). It then takes a further 5 seconds to get rid of the voice direction screen.
    Is there any way to disable this or get it off the phone? It's pointless for me and I've never used it.

3. Why when I disable notifications do apps then decide weeks later to start sending me notifications? I know how to disable notifications per app but not how to get rid of them permanently. Is there a way to do this?

1. Yes you can disable S Voice via the double press of the home key. Go into your apps page. go into S Voice, go into the settings for it then uncheck the box that says "Open via the home key"

2. This is the "Multi window" button. To disable it, go into Settings, then Display then in there, there should be a box somewhere for enable / disable multi window.

3. Certain apps you can go into the individual app settings and turn off these notifications but when the app updates they might re-enable. You can disable them via the drop down menu and turning off the Sync feature.

Just to add as well if your phone is going very slow and you have Power Saving enabled, disable it. Power save feature hampers the CPU performance to save battery life so it makes it perform terribly.

Hope this helps.
    All your base are belong to us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family