EE - Big bill while in USA

Options
M0ney
M0ney Posts: 494 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
The day before we travelled to the USA for a holiday my gf called EE and asked if she could use her mobile abroad and was advised that for £10 she could use a certain amount of data each day and also that there was a £49.50 cap on her contract. Unfortunately the texts confirming this have accidentally been deleted.

She's just had them take ~£166 in the latest DD. Just wanted to ask for opinions on the best thing to handle this when we contact them?

Comments

• NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Did she actually buy a £10 bundle of anything? What was the £10 bundle purchased? AFAIK with EE or T-Mobile, you can't use data unless you buy a bundle, so is this Orange?
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    M0ney wrote: »
    ... was advised that for £10 she could use a certain amount of data each day and also that there was a £49.50 cap
    It's either a cap or a bundle. Buying a bundle voids the default cup. Most likely she just misunderstood the text.
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    She's just had them take ~£166 in the latest DD. Just wanted to ask for opinions on the best thing to handle this when we contact them?
    You haven't given us enough information. Tell us what roaming charges appear on the bill, and then someone might be able to help.
  • M0ney
    Options
    Orange is her provider but I thought they were all part of EE now?

I hadn't looked at her bill by the time of posting but it is as follows;

originating network place/network contacted contact type megabytes cost
    Orange Mobile internet data 368.1176Mb £0.000 <---- UK data
    Cingular USA data 311.8293Mb £120.000
    T-Mobile USA data 7.4501Mb £10.000

Apologies that hasn't pasted too well from her bill.

I didn't hear what was said on the phone to EE just before we went on holiday so I'm just going on what she said, her memory for specific details often isn't great for this kind of thing but she said she'd bought a bundle which allowed her to use a certain amount of data while in the States.

But I know for a fact that there was a cap because that same night she received a text from Orange which she showed me, stating that there was a cap of £49.50 on here account. Unfortunately after seeing the big bill we tried to find the text and it appears to have been deleted.
  • M0ney
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    It's either a cap or a bundle. Buying a bundle voids the default cup. Most likely she just misunderstood the text.

It's worth noting that no bundle appears on her bill;

Out of Bundle UK Data : 08 Jul - 07 Aug £0.00

And I'm fairly sure she wouldn't have got that part wrong she told me only a couple of hours after she was on the phone to EE that they were charging her £10 for a data allowance in the States.
  • grumbler
    edited 24 July 2015 at 12:12PM
    Options
    Orange is her provider but I thought they were all part of EE now?
    http://explore.ee.co.uk/roaming/orange/usa
    Mobile internet/data (3G) £8.00
    http://explore.ee.co.uk/roaming/ee/usa
    To access the internet you must purchase a data add-on,see the add-ons section of this page for available add-ons.
    I didn't hear what was said on the phone to EE just before we went on holiday so I'm just going on what she said, her memory for specific details often isn't great for this kind of thing but she said she'd bought a bundle which allowed her to use a certain amount of data while in the States.
    Is it not easier just to check the website instead? Do you realise that the 'certain' amount was as small as 100Mb?
    But I know for a fact that there was a cap because that same night she received a text from Orange which she showed me, stating that there was a cap of £49.50 on here account. Unfortunately after seeing the big bill we tried to find the text and it appears to have been deleted.
    We can only guess what the text actually said. However, the T&C were easy to find and pretty clear:
    http://explore.ee.co.uk/roaming/tnc/roaming-terms-and-conditions
    Orange roaming bundles
    Rest of World Mobile Internet Daily Bundles terms and conditions
    By adding this daily data bundle to your account you will be opted out of our Rest of the World data cap of 5.2MB (£41.29)
    It's worth noting that no bundle appears on her bill;

Out of Bundle UK Data : 08 Jul - 07 Aug £0.00
    This is for UK, isn't it?
  • M0ney
    Options
    I think I see what's happened now, looks like they've charged her £10 for everyday that she's used mobile internet. She must've thought it was £10 for the whole holiday. She didn't look at this online, just spoke to an agent on the phone who I suspect hasn't made this clear, does anyone think we have any comeback here or will we just have to swallow this bill?
  • grumbler
    Options
    Some more information here: http://explore.ee.co.uk/roaming/data-roaming-limits-orange

And yes, 100Mb/£10 is a daily bundle - I missed this.
  • M0ney
    Options
    Grumbler thanks for your input, the last point you're right, I've misread that.

On the T&Cs on the website surely that is irrelevant if the agent on the phone acting for Orange has agreed to provide something different at a different price, she's home now and we've talked she is adamant that there was no mention of a £10 daily charge simply that it would cost £10 and she informed him on the duration of the holiday. We will phone Orange soon and see what they say, I'm hoping at the very least there will be a partial refund.
  • grumbler
    Options
    IIRC, the daily £10 is charged only for the days when mobile data is used. Without a bundle it would be £8/MB, i.e. even more expensive.
    Only if she used less than 20Mb per day she can argue that she was missold and that 20Mb/£3 bundle was more suitable for her.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure