What to Expect After 'Signing On?'

Options
Hi

Around October of last year I walked out of a company that was partly in a 'state of collapse.' I had been there for years, and was the longest serving employee.

I never had any intentions of 'signing on', as I had various small business ideas. These ideas have basically not worked, and now I realise I need to sign on, and find some sort of basic employment.

I've no idea what to expect from signing on. I've been out of work (through leaving voluntarily) for 9 months now. Am I even eligible to receive money, and if so how much would it be roughly (no family.)

Also, in return for benefits, are you now required to go to any job interview of their choosing or you will end up being sanctioned?

I will really need NI credits, can they be backdated at all (been out of work for 9 months.)

In hindsight, it was a bad move on my part not to sign on immediately - this is because I thought my business ideas would work, and I really was trying to avoid claiming benefits.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

PennyPincher3562

Comments

• rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    You may have been sanctioned for 6 months on leaving vouluntarily. Did the company subsequently fold? Were you being paid?
    However, as you have not claimed for 9 months, that has timed out.
    JSA is around 65/weekish.
    If you were working fulltime until 9 months ago, you will certainly have NI credits. Any work you have not done since April 2014 is quite irrelevant.

You may also be entitled to housing benefit and other low-income benefits if you have under 16K of capital. (any bank accounts plus property that you don't live in)
  • pennypincher3562
    Options
    Thanks Roger

The company has not completely folded as of yet - parts of it were shut down and lots of people given the boot. I've very good reason to believe I would have joined them if I'd managed to hang on a bit longer.

I was being paid up until I left, though they did delay part of a bonus I was owed (due to the issues they were having.) After leaving I asked for the remainder of the bonus, but they more or less said 'forget it, as we've got more important issues to think about.' It wasn't that much, and probably not worth pursuing.

This might sound stupid, but in return for my £65 a week, do you have start going for jobs that the Employment Office believe you are suitable for. I've been reading about workfare and the likes.

I've worked most of my life and would still like to choose which jobs I go for.

Cheers
    PennyPincher3562
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    This might sound stupid, but in return for my £65 a week, do you have start going for jobs that the Employment Office believe you are suitable for. I've been reading about workfare and the likes.

The answer is a definite maybe.
    They now have powers to basically force you to apply for anything, and require you to even attend full-time in the jobcentre, or hand you over to third parties to 'help' you get into work.

Exactly how those powers are applied, and if in your case you are allowed to limit your jobsearch depends on the individual advisor to a large degree, and how much they think you deserve that treatment.

You are not required to claim JSA if you have a low income.
    You may be entitled to some or full HB if you have under 16K capital and low income, even not claiming JSA.
  • pennypincher3562
    Options
    Thanks Roger

That's what I feared. I don't consider myself a 'work shirker' after being in work for nearly 2 decades. However I am concerned that I will be pushed into things that I'm possibly not really suited to.

Out of curiosity what would you attend a Jobcentre 'full-time' for?

Anyway, I need to get my act together, and at least go and speak to them!

Thanks
    PennyPincher3562
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When I signed on the first few weeks I was able to search for anything I wanted to. I also indicated what I wanted to work in during my interview,

I went to see an advisor the week after ask to see cv and also guide me what to look for and suggestions. I used to sign bi weekly and the I went to a jobs fair which I didn't mind going as I could ask about appremtiships which I wasn't suitable for anyways. They said to dress smart I did and many others didn't. I was proactive in my search. I developed a pattern and I could search quite quickly each day doing the pattern of the same websites but also ones that collate various council websites.

I was transferred to disability advisor due to my hearing limiting some work. He was great. Refered me to remploy which all I did was just jobsearch which I could have done at home. They only really helped me to co tact my past employer to get reference sent to new one and also visit new employer to make sure everything was ok,

I just followed the rules even wanted to do the work experience thing because I hd nothing to loose and also the experience would help me attain a job, I couldn't do it in the end due to my very part time job having different days each week they wanted me in.

I never had any real issues. They did send me another form to complete to make sure I was getting the right benefits albeit they did try and get me to ring them first but jobcentre sorted it for me.

When they give you work experience take it if you can as this experience will help you get a job. People moan it's free labour yeah it kinda is but you wouldn't get paid for work experience anyways.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• Sncjw
    Options
    Oh I got changed to weekly signing after I think 4 months due to being on it a long time. Some people have to go everyday I think it's those who aren't showing they are doing enough,
    Mortgage free wannabe 

• Sncjw
    Options
    I don't know why but my dea insisted on promting the job advert after reading it out loud and saving it to my account. Also saved jobs that's I wasn't suitable for. Nor had quals for
    Mortgage free wannabe 

• pennypincher3562
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I appreciate that they have to take this line (try and get people into employment.)

I am a bit anxious about it - I've not been coerced into any employment since the days of my youth, and for past 2 decades have done 'my own thing', when it comes to work. So this is a new experience for me, and will take some adapting to.

Just filling out the application now.

Cheers
    PennyPincher3562
  • Sncjw
    Options
    Go for it. Also even before your interview with them look for work and show you have been looking for work in the areas you want to.

What areas do you want to work in?
    Mortgage free wannabe 

• pennypincher3562
    Options
    At present, really not sure what want to do. I am very cautious about going from the 'frying pan into the fire.' I would be happy to take on basic work to keep me going, and allow me to put more thought into what I want to do next.

Cheers
    PennyPincher3562
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family