Vodafone bill shock

Options
wonderman
wonderman Posts: 91 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Just had a shock on my Vodafone account. Package is £9 per month includes 300 mins and 500 texts; had the contract for a couple of years always £9 per month. Then this month the bill is over £120 for one month. On line bill viewing service was not available so spent over an hour on vodafone chat being passed along 5 advisors before they were finally able to confirm that we had gone over the 300 minutes by a long way - 250 mins over since the middle of the month. No warning issued. So the first 300 mins are £9 and the second 250 mins are £110+.
After one hour of on line chat the conclusion was "sorry for the inconvenience" but its tough you went over the monthly amount.
I dont mind paying extra if going over the agreed limit - BUT I would have thought it would be reasonable to expect a text warning - and also for the additional charges to be somewhat reasonable - even an increment - but to charge 14 times the rate?

Comments

• Rusty!
    Rusty! Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You agreed to those charges when you took out the contract.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Out of bundle costs are usually about 45p per minute.

It's very important to have enough minutes to never hit this rate.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I pay 8.50 a month to O2 and they send me a text to say when I have used 80%, then another to say I have used 100% and then actually have to contact them to buy more date.

Suits me fine. I am a new user so its great.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    I pay 8.50 a month to O2 and they send me a text to say when I have used 80%, then another to say I have used 100% and then actually have to contact them to buy more date.

Suits me fine. I am a new user so its great.
    80% and 100% of what exactly? If it's data, then in the OP's case it was minutes, not data.
  • wonderman
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    80% and 100% of what exactly? If it's data, then in the OP's case it was minutes, not data.

Yes exactly - I was expecting to get a text alert but no - just slam you with a bill 15 times bigger than you were expecting.
    Jeroen Hoencamp the Vodafone CEO talks about customer experience and how important it is to get the little things right.......hmmm.
  • wonderman
    Options
    Rusty! wrote: »

especially helpful thanks.
  • reddwarf2002
    reddwarf2002 Posts: 575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most networks will usually discount a bill shock caused by exceeding data allowance, but then, only for the first time you do it. They're not so good when it comes to exceeding the minutes, however.

To some extents I can understand their reasoning. With minutes you can usually 'feel' how long you have been talking and you do physically have to make that call. On the other hand there are plenty of background apps that can eat away your data allowance without you ever knowing.

It's probably not what you wanted to hear, but I hope Vodafone come to their senses with the extortionate rates and give you some discounts. Good luck!
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    About due for the weekly dose of blame-the-network for charging what I agreed to because I didn't bother keeping an eye on my useage. After all, it's SO difficult to do that. Some phones have a built-in useage counter which can be reset every month, Android phones (and I am sure other operating systems) have free apps which you can set according to your precise bundle date and allowances.

Of course, you could bother to read the out-of bundle charges when taking out a contract so you can't claim ignorance when you exceed them (apart from making sure that you don't). You could also easily check your useage at any time with the network instead.

No no; I never knew how much they would charge if I used more minutes than I purchased, it's their fault I didn't bother to monitor my useage (given that it's so difficult and so basic) and even worse that they don't play the parent and let me know (along with their millions of other customers) when they I have strayed outside their bundles.
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wonderman wrote: »

I guess you are being sarcastic, but unfortunately this is true.

Vodafone don't offer any "warning" texts when you go over your allowances, why should they?

Your best bet is to call voda (not live chat or email) and ask them POLITELY (i.e. not going off on one!) if there is there is anyway this bill can be reduced, explaining that this was a one off, and you will be keeping a closer eye on your call times in future.

They are under no obligation to do this, but they might reduce the bill as a one off goodwill gesture.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Rusty! wrote: »
    wonderman wrote: »

Well, he is correct. You used over 4 hours of extra minutes yet it's Vodafone's fault? Surely you should take some personal responsibility?
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport