Forum Home» Greenfingered MoneySaving

Keeping hens and ducks chat. Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day. - Page 286

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Keeping hens and ducks chat. Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day.

edited 7 April 2020 at 3:05AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
2.9K replies 331K views

Replies

• baggins11baggins11 Forumite
    248 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Thanks for those fantastic tips and the warm welcome edwink!

I have an old small polytunnel (greenhouse sized) with a ripped cover that I am going to try and cobble together this weekend.   

They currently have a large electric fenced run in our field so they will get a shock being confined to a smaller area.

We have 6 hens that we hatched ourselves. One of the hens has started laying this week so its been an exciting week for us. We have had hens before but not for quite a few years and I have to say it has been lovely watching them hatch and grow.

We do get lots of game birds and other wild birds around so I will have to crack on this weekend with our new setup.
  • edited 29 November 2020 at 6:32AM
    edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 November 2020 at 6:32AM

Hi everyone

How is everyone? Hope you are all keeping well 😘 It's been very quiet on here lately. We have definitely noticed how early it gets dark at the moment.  We have rigged up the girls coop light again this year so they can stay out in safety for an extra half an hour.  Hoppy is still doing ok and has her daily swim for an hour or two, bless her.  She doesn't waddle far now as she is definitely showing her age but she loves a splash about in the pond and is still eating well especially her lunchtime chopped cucumber treat. I seem to be spending most of my time sweeping and collecting leaves at the moment with the help (not) of my hens. Several times now I have scooped up a pile of leaves with a hen scratching around in them, how I ever manage to get anything done around here is beyond me 🤣

Cheery, how are your girls getting on?. I hope Rusty is still ok since seeing the vet. You are right when you say your rescue girls are getting on a bit now bless them. I can't believe I've had my menaces for just over a year now, where does the time go? so my girls are 2 and a half years old already 💕

Baggins, how is the poly tunnel set up for your girls coming along?. Sounds like you had a big job on your hands with that but I am sure it was worth it if you managed to get it done. We are not as near as you to any of the outbreaks although I am still concerned about the situation.  Talking of which has anyone heard anything more about it? I do keep my eye out for news on the outbreaks and have not seen or heard anything further myself lately which can only be a good thing I guess.

Where is our Pyxis? Haven't seen her on here for a while now.  I do hope you are ok Pyxis.

Stay safe everyone

Edwink x
    *3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter
    *Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating
    *2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - Hybrid Toyota Auris car
    1 Cayuga duck Hoppy & 21 ex-battery hens - RIP Pingu
    Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh dear yet another outbreak of Bird Flu this time in turkeys in North Yorkshire 😢

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-55121445

Edwink x

*3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter
    Hens & ducks chat thread
  • PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Edwink!

Since the powers that be closed the Arms, I’ve been on another forum set up especially for refugees from The Arms, although I have popped in here every couple of weeks to catch up, but have not often posted, tbh.

I have been in isolation since March 2nd, and am not doing too well now, tbh, but don’t like inflicting misery on anyone, so tend to stay away.  
    At least the news of the vaccine gives a bit of hope.

I do like reading about your girls!

Just wondering, does anyone ever rescue Turkeys? (Apart from the Potus, that is!).
    i suppose, being meat birds, rather than egg birds, that isn’t likely. 

Do people eat turkey eggs?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).
    Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• edited 5 December 2020 at 4:38PM
    edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 December 2020 at 4:38PM
    Thanks for the Bird Flu link Cheery x

This one is from the BBC today 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55201167

Edwink x
    Hens & ducks chat thread
  • edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope everyone is ok and ready for chicken lockdown again!! 

We lost one of our girls during the night last night, bless her we found her still on the perches when we opened up this morning. There was no sign of stress with her or any struggle and it looked as though she just went peacefully in her sleep.  Down to 20 rescue girls now.

Edwink x
    Hens & ducks chat thread
  • Cheery_DaffCheery_Daff Forumite
    10.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aw edwink, I'm so sorry :cry: I know how you dote on those ladies. I'm glad she went peacefully, but it's still awfully sad. Hope you're ok xxx

Preparations are going ok here, although a few minor setbacks. Our existing run is fine, so we'll just be using that, but building them an extension which won't be ready by Monday, but should be within a week or two. Mr Cheery has been laying foundations today, but we couldn't get hold of the nails and fixings we need so will have to order online tomorrow. I've rung a tree surgeon about woodchip but he's not replied. Our run is on the ground - fine if they're not in it often but it will rapidly get rather muddy if they're in there all the time. There's a bit of hay on the floor now just because we have plenty of it, but it's not ideal and also gets soggy quickly.

So I'm splashing out on hardwood wood chips, which can apparently last up to a year (and longer if they're not on there all the time), and can also be watered with disinfectant now and then, and won't get so muddy. But where to get them from?? Bulk bag places want to do pallet delivery, but they won't get the lorry down our lane drive. Tree surgeon is ideal - I'll try ringing again tomorrow I think. Otherwise I'll have to buy single bags from the farm supply shop and collect them, which isn't going to be cheap (although may be offset by no delivery charge, we'll see). 

Pleased to report Rusty is ok, and her feathers are starting to grow back, thank goodness. The older ones are definitely slowing down compared to the younger ones - we might not have noticed but for the contrast. Bless them, they'll be over 3 years old now.

Will give them all an extra treat tomorrow in honour of your departed hen edwink xxx
  • edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope everyone is ok.

I now have a little hen living indoors with us as I noticed she was quiet during the week and resting a lot whilst the others were foraging. Decided yesterday to bring her indoors with us so she is nice and warm and not standing around in the cold outside. I've thoroughly looked her over and can not see any sign of injury or ill health so thinking it is more down to just old age and slowing down which isn't good in this chilly weather.  She has eaten some sweetcorn, chopped grapes, and a couple of bits of blueberry which isn't a lot but is something.  I hate to see them give up when they get old but have always found they perk up quite a bit once indoors with us and are cosy and warm. She is safer indoors with us anyway as sadly hens can be a bit nasty to each other if one is singled out, not always but it can and does happen.  She has had a walk around the kitchen several times today albeit rather slow, bless her. She is fine with us indoors 😊

Poultry lockdown starts today, sadly.  I'll keep everyone up to date as and when I see anything in the news.

Take care everyone.

Edwink x 
    Hens & ducks chat thread