Forum Home» Greenfingered MoneySaving

Keeping hens and ducks chat. Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day. - Page 282

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Keeping hens and ducks chat. Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day.

edited 7 April 2020 at 3:05AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
2.9K replies 331K views

Replies

• C_JC_J Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    New hens have arrived! They’re gorgeous. Here’s the majority of them checking out their salad bar (a couple are missing from the picture .... they were in the coop laying little eggs, minutes after being introduced to their new home). Eagle-eyed amongst you will spot that we also opted to have a cockerel, not something I’ve ever done before but thought it would be nice to have one to keep the girls in line and stop any squabbling.

More pictures to follow. They have a climbing frame and swing which they are loving!

• Cheery_DaffCheery_Daff Forumite
    10.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooh, look at your beautiful hens C_J! Is the cockerel the grey one on the left at the front?? My identification skills are useless :lol: Do let us know how you get on with him. Salad bar looks great! 

All good here. MUCH less squabbling (thank goodness). Mostly they hang around as a whole flock, or in two factions of old and new (or 'classic' and 'imposter' as we tend to refer to them :lol: ). Bonnie has started to hang around with the older hens though which is nice, and this morning Bonnie and Rusty (one new, one old) turned up at the back door together. Rusty (old) and Chippy (new) have also both been sitting on my knee at the same time without pecking each other, which is lovely. 

Poor Rusty is still limping a little after I rather embarrassingly stood on her foot while she was getting under my feet as I got the shopping out of the car. Oh dear. She's still running round so I'm not too concerned. It gets a little worse towards the end of the day (which isn't surprising) but each day it seems less bad, so fingers crossed. 
  • edited 2 September 2020 at 4:38PM
    edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 September 2020 at 4:38PM
    C_J... Love your photo and your lovely Cockerel and his hens, aww bless them. I'm sure the salad bar will keep them amused for ages as they have found that already by the look of it.  I can see 8 in your photo so was that the amount you got or are there others hiding away from the camera?

Cheery...Glad yours appear to have sorted their pecking order now because it is always nice when there is harmony in the camp.  How is Rusty's foot now?.  I have to confess I have stood on a few toes and feet with mine, by mistake obviously.  I always find that they will limp for a day or two and then run around like loonies as if nothing has ever happened.  I must admit I do feel awful about it when I see them limping a bit.

Edwink x
    *3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter
    *Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating
    *2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - Hybrid Toyota Auris car
    1 Cayuga duck Hoppy & 21 ex-battery hens - RIP Pingu
    Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • orangecrushorangecrush Forumite
    189 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    C_J said:
    New hens have arrived! They’re gorgeous. Here’s the majority of them checking out their salad bar (a couple are missing from the picture .... they were in the coop laying little eggs, minutes after being introduced to their new home). Eagle-eyed amongst you will spot that we also opted to have a cockerel, not something I’ve ever done before but thought it would be nice to have one to keep the girls in line and stop any squabbling.

More pictures to follow. They have a climbing frame and swing which they are loving!

C_J they're gorgeous!  I want more hens now! 
  • edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    C_J said:

C_J they're gorgeous!  I want more hens now! 
    Me too especially a cockerel and I rather like the look of that clever salad bar I must say.

Edwink x
    *3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter
    Hens & ducks chat thread
  • edited 24 September 2020 at 4:25PM
    edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2020 at 4:25PM
    Hi everyone

All going ok with my hens and they are running about the place like complete and utter loonies. All of them are totally feathered up now except one aka "Baldy Bones".  She follows me about everywhere as I have spoilt her with freshly picked raspberries.  How do you explain to a skinny bald hen that the raspberry season has finished now and she will have to wait till next year if she wants some more?. I've offered her a few chopped grapes but she turns her nose up at me because all she wants is blooming raspberries.  Funny little peculiar hen she is, bless her, She'll eat sweetcorn, cucumber, and apple though so doesn't go without treats that's for sure 😀😀😀

How is it going for others on here? All harmony in the camp I hope. I'm very interested to know how your salad bar is going C_J and how it is going with your cockerel.  I am still thinking of getting another cockerel I have to say but at the moment I'm trying not to look at the "Lonely Hearts" section on the BHWT website because it is full of beautiful cockerels all looking for new homes. It makes me sad to see them there but I know they are being well looked after whilst awaiting new homes.  Maybe, next Spring I'll think about it more seriously as we have plenty of space for one and he will help keep my unruly lot in check 😂😂😂

Stay safe everyone.

Edwink 😉

Hens & ducks chat thread
  • PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see you posting, Edwink.

I don't spend much time on MSE now that they've shut the Arms, and the clunky layout of this forum and the giant keyboard is annoying for just browsing, but I'm popping in once a week to have a general catch-up with a couple of threads, this one included.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).
    Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see you posting edwink! :smile:

All fine with our ladies. Rusty has been to the vet with a limp but £81 later (and some anti inflammatories) she seems better - given her some more today though as it looked like they were wearing off.

Otherwise all well in the beaky camp. Just shut them in the run and I've been sat with them having a cuppa :smiley:

10.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Rusty found the treats :lol: