Forum Home» Greenfingered MoneySaving

Keeping hens and ducks chat. Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day. - Page 281

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Keeping hens and ducks chat. Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day.

edited 7 April 2020 at 3:05AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
2.9K replies 330.9K views

Replies

• edited 18 August 2020 at 5:46AM
    stuart45stuart45 Forumite
    747 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    edited 18 August 2020 at 5:46AM
    I used to keep Call ducks which are just about the noisiest you can get, although it's only the females. Great characters and being small are OK for a garden. You can tell the sex once the females start quacking, although you can tell by squeezing in the right places when younger.
  • PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stuart45 said:
    I used to keep Call ducks which are just about the noisiest you can get, although it's only the females. Great characters and being small are OK for a garden. You can tell the sex once the females start quacking, although you can tell by squeezing in the right places when younger.
    😱😱😱
    😂
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).
    Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Cheery_DaffCheery_Daff Forumite
    10.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do love a duck Stuart :smiley: Must confess I've never tried squeezing one though!

Interesting experiment C_J! I've sprouted seeds for myself, but never for the chickens. Are you planning to just give them each whole tray as it grows? Or cut and sprinkle? 

I picked the caterpillars off my kale yesterday and tried feeding them to the chickens, they were having none of it and completely ignored them. Pesky beasts. So I punished them by weeding in the veg patch for an hour with the gates shut while they patrolled round the outside, looking for a way in :lol: I do relent and let them in sometimes, but seriously, the only things they've done in there are (a) scratch up the leeks, (b) make dust baths between the turnips and (c) eat as many worms as possible while ignoring caterpillars, slugs etc so I think I'm quite justified in keeping them out! 
  • PyxisPyxis Forumite
    46.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which bits do you have to squeeze? 😱
    Do they squeak?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).
    Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• stuart45stuart45 Forumite
    747 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Pyxis said:
    Which bits do you have to squeeze? 😱
    Do they squeak?
    I never really got the hang of it. A duck breeder showed me how to do it, but I didn't really like squeezing a 4 day old duckling to find out what it was. preferred to wait to them to start quacking. If you get it right a corkscrew shaped penis shoots out.
  • maddiemaymaddiemay Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edwink - so pleased to see you here I have been hoping that you, OH and the flock are O.K.
    MM x
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • C_JC_J Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    So sorry you’ve lost one of you hens, Edwink. I always found it extremely upsetting when that happened to one of my bunch - I suppose I always feel that I am responsible for nurturing them and giving them a happy life, so I always get devastated when I lose one . It’s like I’ve failed somehow, even though it’s Nature’s way of things.

My original fodder plan was to try and grow enough of the sprouted wild bird seed to give the girls a top up of greens, maybe two trays a week of fodder to go alongside any other garden greens which might be available plus whatever they could forage for themselves when they are let out under supervision into the main kitchen garden. However the sprouted seed is growing so well that, if I could get it to continue like that throughout the winter, I might be able to give the trays several haircuts and feed them handfuls of that before finally giving them the whole tray. I realise growth will be slower over the winter months, but the polytunnel does stay remarkably warm. I have also put one of those “blow away” mini greenhouses in there and have made a fleece cover for it, so anything on its shelves gets double insulation.

I’ve been searching t’internet to see if I can find wild bird seed any cheaper by buying in bulk, but to be honest I’ve not been able to better the Poundland price for a 1.5kg bag so will be stocking up with a few bags next time I am out that way.

My new hens are due to be ready for collection ‘at the end of August’ so they could be here by next weekend.  Can’t wait!!
  • orangecrushorangecrush Forumite
    189 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Sorry to hear you've been unwell Edwink!  I hope you recover soon, sending healing wishes!