Forum Home» Greenfingered MoneySaving

Keeping hens and ducks chat. Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day. - Page 280

New Post Advanced Search

Keeping hens and ducks chat. Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day.

edited 7 April at 4:05AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
2.8K replies 328.6K views

Replies

• Cheery_DaffCheery_Daff Forumite
    10.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aw orangecrush, your son sounds like he properly loves those chickens! How very cute. Hmm, yes definitely need a solution for the doors though if he can open them. I completely sympathise with your husband saying no more though! 

Bessie's getting worse rather than better, so I'm very glad we're at the vets tomorrow. She's still eating and walking round, but definitely slower and her comb is all flopping over and going darker, never a good sign. She's perked up a LOT last two times she's had all this fluid drained though, so fingers crosse - and if nothing else the vet will be able to check her foot too. 

I do wish our local vet was more chicken-aware though - this one is 1.5 hours drive each way and while they're lovely, it's rather a nuisance! Next time we have an issue (which I hope won't be for a long while) we'll try the one 40 mins away (they were on holiday when Bessie was first ill). Hope they're just as nice, because this trek is rather ridiculous... 
    10.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aw bless em orangecrush - the Chicken Map does get rather ingrained. Your poor lawn though! 

All fine here - Bessie seems to be on the mend, thank goodness. Dose of diuretics is decreasing (final one today) and no signs of the swelling returning. Comb is looking more upright and a better colour - not perfect, but she's certainly not acting like an ill chicken (in fact she's being a bit of a monster, chasing the new ladies!) 

New ladies settling in nicely, they're starting to all hang round together as a bit of a flock (together with two young Robin's and two young blackbirds who have clearly also decided they're chickens 😂 ). Still a bit of chasing from the older ones, and Bessie has been seen pulling feathers on occasion which I am NOT impressed with... the anti-peck spray has been out, Bessie (pecked by Beaky) and rusty (pecked by Bessie) are growing feathers back on their heads now, the new ladies aren't looking bedraggled but do get pecked so they've been sprayed too.

Spend half my life being chicken peacemaker these days!
  • orangecrushorangecrush Forumite
    183 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Hi @C_J !  How exciting you're getting new hens!  I would really miss having them now I think.  Though wouldn't miss cleaning the coop!
    We grow a lot of brassicas over the winter, that the hens tend to help themselves to - chard, perpetutal spinach etc.  It wasn't intended for them of course, but they do get so excited to jump in the veg bed in winter when I let them out for a potter around!  Have never tried growing wheat or barley though... if you try it, let us know how you get on!
    10.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi C_C, sorry, missed your message before! 

How exciting you're getting some new chickens! I know what you mean about finding them though, it seems lots of people took up chicken-keeping in lockdown! (and cycling, and bread-making - all good and worthwhile pursuits in my book). Glad you've found some now though. 

I've not tried sprouting or growing anything specific for our hens for over the winter. We're rural too, and ours have free run of the place (except if we're out all day and won't be back til after dark) so plenty of grass, dandelions etc for them to forage, although I've been trying to keep them out of the veg patch this year (and on the odd occasion I do let them in, they're more interested in digging dust baths between the cabbages...). Do let us know how you get on - sorry, I realise that's not much use to you! 
    10.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooh, we love hen photos C_J!! Your salad bar sounds BRILLIANT, so yes to photos of that too, yay! 

Where's @edwink these days? Edwink, are you here?? Hope you and your feathered friends are well xx
    10.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Lucyeff :smile:

I confess I have literally no idea about ducks, or about how old you can tell the sex. Definitely with you on not ending up with a load of males though :open_mouth:

As for quietness, we're very rural so it doesn't matter, but our blithering chickens have been making SO much noise lately! We don't even have a cockerel, but they do an awful lot of shouting :open_mouth: Mostly when I shut them in because we're having a picnic and they'd just ruin it :lol: 

Giving them all a rest today. We've had quite a few visitors lately, and it's been fine - they've been enjoying the opportunity for a dropped crumb or two. Yesterday's visitors included a three year old girl who was OBSESSED with the chickens, and just followed them for the entire afternoon. We did shut them in for a break - but then the little girl managed to get into the run as well (not the main run - she'd never have got in there if the door was shut - just the extension) and was chasing them in there too. Poor thing got extremely tired and very cross that we'd taken the chickens away and she was still crying when they drove off, oh dear! 

So now I'm feeling bad about that - but more feeling bad that I think Rusty wasn't feeling too well, and I should have realised earlier and put a stop to all the chasing. She's normally pretty tolerant, and it's not like they don't have plenty of places to go to get out of the way, but yesterday I think she ended up feeling quite miserable, and took herself off to bed about 5. Fortunately she seems fine this morning but we'll keep an eye on her - maybe she just wanted a proper break. 

Definitely something we'll be more mindful of in the future I think - and no kids breaking into the chicken run - they've got to have somewhere that's just theirs...