Forum Home» Greenfingered MoneySaving

Keeping hens and ducks chat. Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day. - Page 232

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Keeping hens and ducks chat. Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day.

edited 7 April at 3:05AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
2.8K replies 329K views

Replies

• Cheery_DaffCheery_Daff Forumite
    10.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed - I certainly didn't have to deal with wayward sheep in the garden at my old house :rotfl:
  • edited 31 July 2019 at 9:48AM
    edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 July 2019 at 9:48AM
    Thank you for the update on Beaky Cheery.

So glad she is ok. Good idea about the oily mash later and the oily scrambled egg. Keep going with the oil until Beakys crop is completely empty plus for a few days after that to doubly make sure it is emptying ok now.

Once it is completely empty just have a feel of her crop if you can say next week and the week after just to make sure it is definitely empty in the mornings now. Bless her little heart :)

Well done Cheery x

Edwink x
    *3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter
    *Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating
    *2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - Hybrid Toyota Auris car
    1 Cayuga duck Hoppy & 21 ex-battery hens - RIP Pingu
    Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
    10.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gosh we're all up and down here. Went to let the ladies out after the fog cleared, and they all came rushing out except Beaky, who was just stood in the door to the chicken house. She did come out eventually, and after about 20 minutes I found her sheltering in one of the outbuildings with Bessie, so I've brought her inside (Bessie wasn't impressed at being abandoned :o ) and she's just standing quietly in the corner of my study looking sorry for herself, didn't even try to escape out the back door.

I've put water out, and some more pellet mash with oil, and a little bowl of grit, and a box of bedding (although I put her in that and she got straight back out). It's quiet here today, she's just sat in the study with me and I'm just sat still typing, so she can rest and at least I can keep an eye on her.

Poor little thing :(
  • edited 31 July 2019 at 7:08PM
    edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 July 2019 at 7:08PM
    Aww bless her heart Cheery. You have done exactly the right thing. Just keep her quiet for a few days on her own and see how she is then.

Any change with her crop? Have you felt it today to see if it was empty this morning?. She has obviously made progress with the help you have given her but the not eating so well is maybe affecting her. It's hard going for little hens when their crop is not functioning as it should be so just give her a few days to see if she will pick up. You could try her on a few pieces of sweetcorn coated in oil or without to see if that lifts her a bit. Has she eaten any of the mash with oil in that you've made for her? If so how much has she eaten?. Is she drinking any water at all?.

She will probably just bed down for the night in your study if you let her. A nice quiet night on her own may do her good. See how she is in the morning and check her crop again, bless her.

Edwink x
    *3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter
    Hens & ducks chat thread
    10.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ha, fat chance edwink - after about an hour of sitting with her head under her wing, she started pottering about the kitchen and then standing purposefully by the back door - I opened it and off she marched, stopping to pick up a couple of mealworms that had been inexplicably abandoned on the floor.

Crop wasn't empty this morning but it was MUCH better, and she has been drinking, and did eat a bit of mash this afternoon. So who knows. She mostly seems puzzled when I bring her inside, and after a while seems to want to be back with the others.

Wish they could talk! Although thinking about it that would bring a whole other level of worry and nonsense wouldn't it?! :eek: :eek:
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 1 August 2019 at 12:39AM
    edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 August 2019 at 12:39AM
    For goodness sake they do like to play us humans up Cheery don't they? Sometimes you just can not tell if they are unwell or not. Sometimes I think they just play us up for a bit fun or sympathy and when they get bored with their game or want a change of scenery it's like ok so can you open the door now because I want to be with my own kind now thanks very much.

I had a poorly duck once so brought her indoors and kitted out a large dog cage for her to sleep in at night mainly for her safety. She spent several days indoors with us and looked so sorry for herself all the time. She spent all day out of the cage so we could keep an eye on her properly. One morning I opened the cage up and she came bounding out and just stood there looking at me. I went outside and got the other ducks out and the hens and when I got back I left the French door open at the back as the weather was nice. I had just put the kettle on and turned round literately to see her go marching out of the door, jump down over the door threshold step, waddle across the patio and attempt to jump up the steps on to our garden. I'd never seen her move so fast or had a duck that discharged herself from her hospital bed. A few days previous she looked so poorly we were genuinely concerned about her. I remember thinking at the time, well that's gratitude for you it's nice to know I'm appreciated. :rotfl: In all seriousness I was chuffed she was feeling so much better I must admit because ducks are so much harder to care for indoors than little hens are.

I had a duck with a sore leg once and she would just keep looking up at me in the kitchen so I lifted her up on to my lap and she just calmly sat down. We still remember clearly to this day that we just sat there and just couldn't stop laughing at what she had done. She looked very content and comfortable and when she had been on my lap for a while I said ok Mrs Duck your mum has work to do so I lifted her up to put her back on the floor and she really hissed at me. I guess she was pretty comfortable sitting on my lap. She was such a lovely girl and very friendly for a duck because as a rule they are not as sociable as hens.

You just couldn't make these things up when you keep poultry as pets could you Cheery?. Funny little creatures they are :) and cheeky with it.

Hope Beaky is ok tomorrow, or should I say today?. OOP's didn't realise the time :D

Edwink
    Hens & ducks chat thread
  • edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning everyone :hello:

How is Beaky this morning Cheery in herself and crop wise?

Hope she is feeling a bit better and on the mend.

Edwink x
    Hens & ducks chat thread
    10.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morning :hello:

Beaky seems on the mend :j Crop still has some food in, but it's all quite soft now, much better than yesterday, and she seems brighter, is properly hanging out with the others, and has started making a noise again and being a bit of a nuisance which is always a good sign I think :rotfl:

When I went out to the car earlier one of the sheep was on the drive, and two more in a field they definitely shouldn't have been in, and all five of the chickens came running out of the compost heap in one go making a load of noise - I was imagining them shouting 'Miss! Miss! That sheep's in our field again!' :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

They all got into the house this morning while we were moving stuff in and out, and found the bowl of food and oil I'd left out for Beaky yesterday - spotted her tucking in with great enthusiasm so hopefully that's made a real difference - thank you for the suggestion! :j
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... all five of the chickens came running out of the compost heap in one go making a load of noise - I was imagining them shouting 'Miss! Miss! That sheep's in our field again!' :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: ...
    I really did laugh out loud at this :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Great to hear that Beaky seem properly on the mend now :j
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • edited 1 August 2019 at 7:50PM
    edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 August 2019 at 7:50PM
    Aww Cheery you are a star. Well done xx

Keep going with the olive oil mash for a few more days. We need her crop to be totally empty in the mornings and full at night for several days.

Aww I'm so pleased for you :j and Beaky, sounds like she will soon be
    back to normal chicken-run-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edwink x
    Hens & ducks chat thread