Forum Home» Greenfingered MoneySaving

Keeping hens and ducks chat. Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day. - Page 228

New Post Advanced Search

Keeping hens and ducks chat. Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day.

edited 7 April at 4:05AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
2.8K replies 327.7K views

Replies

• KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edwink wrote: »
    Sounds lovely Karmacat. I'm now trying to work out how it is part of peoples back gardens. I'm trying to picture it but it's difficult to do.
    It's unusual, isn't it - if you're standing on the pavement with the pond right by you, the far side is people's back gardens - instead of a fence at the end of their garden, they have a pond! No privacy at all there - but its a very rich bit of the village, and they have plenty of privacy at the other side, believe me :cool:

We have a local heron down by the canal, you can easily spot him when driving past. He just stands there looking all grand and absolutely beautiful. When he flies off it is surprising how big his wing span is. One landed by our old smaller pond once and I didn't notice he was there when I opened the gate and when he saw me he took off and boy did he make me jump. He was much bigger close up than I expected him to be.
    I've never been up close - wow!
    How sweet calling the birds that visit your garden LBB (Little Brown Birds). Think I should call our visiting birds that too now :D. We love watching them having a bath flicking water everywhere and find them fascinating to watch. We have little Goldfinches, a pair of Bullfinches, Blue tits, Great tits, long tailed tits, a single Jay, Robins, Wrens, Dunnocks and occasionally a beautiful Woodpecker visits. Hubby makes sure there is plenty of food for all of them all because we grow all our veg organically so need them to visit to get rid of all the insects for us :D Mind you they didn't do a very good job looking after our kale last year because that was absolutely covered in bugs, maybe I should have a quiet word with them about that :rotfl:

Edwink
    I nicked the LBB thing from my sister, I love it :rotfl: You do well with yours, I don't think I have quite that many. We have a rookery nearby, and there's also a little nature reserve (the flood plain of a local stream) I can always see a few birds of prey hovering there. Its a good variety. Sorry for the slight hijack beyond hens and ducks!
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • edited 12 July 2019 at 6:07PM
    edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 July 2019 at 6:07PM
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I nicked the LBB thing from my sister, I love it :rotfl: You do well with yours, I don't think I have quite that many. We have a rookery nearby, and there's also a little nature reserve (the flood plain of a local stream) I can always see a few birds of prey hovering there. Its a good variety. Sorry for the slight hijack beyond hens and ducks!

It's not a slight hijack at all because they are all our feathered friends at the end of the day. Some really tiny ones granted but all birds welcome on here no matter what size they are. Oh and discussions about my fences ;) and Cheery going on holiday ;)

So back to fences :rotfl: Got another 4 panels up today yay!! This week that's 7 done lower down the row that are straight and 4 at the top, the first 2 are perfectly straight and the other 2 are rather wonky looking :(. We will take a look at those 2 again next week and alter them but that's probably easier said than done. That leaves just one more panel that needs to be altered to fit and still need another post in behind one of the panels.

Then it's on to the very top chainlink fence which is slightly wobbly but to be honest we keep that wobbly for a purpose. The reason is a fox will not attempt to climb it as it has always been unstable. It's not about to fall down or anything but you can push in back and forth a little but it is so secure on either side there is no way it will come down. We are going to replace a couple of the posts along that row as they are showing signs of wear now so would need sorting in a year or two anyway. Also in that section we still need to fit dense netting above older fencing to 2 sides each about 60ft in length. There is chainlink and a lower fence with chicken wire above so both areas will have dense netting fitted above to give additional security. Can't really put a time for completion on those jobs because it depends on how easy or difficult we find unravelling the huge roll of netting as we are fixing it up. Probably take the best part of next week when hubby is home from work.

Will update soon :)

Edwink
    3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter
    1 Cayuga duck Hoppy & 23 ex-battery hens - RIP Pingu :love:
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • edited 14 July 2019 at 8:40PM
    edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 July 2019 at 8:40PM
    Hi Everyone

I am sorry to let you all know that our dearest Pingu passed away this afternoon. She was not quite herself the past couple of days and seemed a bit slow but still Pingu if that makes sense. She had been slowing down this past year anyway but as said last couple of days was slow and it was more noticeable. Being an Indian Runner she didn't waddle but walked and we noticed her walking definitely slowed down especially this week. She was an old girl anyway and went through that trauma of the fox attack 4 months ago. I guess she did very well for her age and in her prime was very healthy and incredibly fast on her feet. Never ever seen a duck move as fast as she did.

You were so loved Pingu. RIP :love:

Edwink
    3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter

Hens & ducks chat thread
  • Cheery_DaffCheery_Daff Forumite
    10K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aw edwink I'm so sorry, how very very sad :(:( she had an excellent life with you xxx

How are you doing, and Mr Edwink, and Hoppy? Xx
  • maddiemaymaddiemay Forumite
    4.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    So sorry to read of Pingu, you will miss her greatly. x
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear that Pingu's gone, edwink :( She had a good long life with you, and she had a peaceful end, too, remember that. Thinking of you all x
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • edited 15 July 2019 at 4:13PM
    edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 July 2019 at 4:13PM
    Thank you everyone for your kind words. It's so nice knowing you are all here on our hens and ducks friendly chat thread. It really does make such a difference. We are ok Cheery thank you just sad more than anything.

Hoppy is fine and has enjoyed 2 lots of swimming in the pond so far today and is now preening herself on our lawn by the house. We've put obstacles on the lawn to stop any birds of prey like Kites swooping down at her because she is now on her own. This little duck is and has always been in a world of her own and obviously previously she had Pingu to look out for her and I have to say Pingu did that very well. She would spend some of her time chasing Pigeons and Magpies away from the LBB feeders as she was just like a little guard dog, bless her. Hoppy is totally different and would share her food with every wild bird there is out there so we need to keep an extra eye on her now. Hoppy always tucked herself in to one of the flower beds and Pingu would always sit in front or to the side of her which was always reassuring when it came to the bigger wild birds.

I'm pleased to say that Hoppy doesn't seem too lost on her own today because that was our main worry to be honest. Maybe it has not sunk in yet with her that Pingu has gone, who knows.

Thanks again everyone

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
  • MysteryMeMysteryMe Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very sorry to read about Pingu, a beautiful duck who was lucky to have such caring owners. I hope Hoppy does not start to miss her too much.
  • edited 17 July 2019 at 8:16AM
    edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 July 2019 at 8:16AM
    MysteryMe wrote: »
    Very sorry to read about Pingu, a beautiful duck who was lucky to have such caring owners. I hope Hoppy does not start to miss her too much.

Aww thank you so much and yes she truly was a beautiful duck. We are hoping Hoppy will be ok and are doing all we can to keep her company during the day. We feel awful that she is on her own during the night but she is so safe in her comfortable hotel, bless her. She has always been a bit of a loner to be honest so we are hoping that fact will help her being on her own now. She has been on the lawn for most of the day except when we have taken her up to the pond for a swim. We've sat with her on the lawn whilst she has been eating lettuce today and chatted away to her to keep her company. We both go down to her level and just look at her and tell her she is not on her own. I know we are a pair of softies but we knew the day would come when we had only one duck and dreaded the thought of one of them being on their own. She is very tame so can sit very close to her on the lawn which helps to keep her occupied.

Pingu spent all her time with Ebony one of our Cayuga ducks that died following the fox attack in March, they were like Bonnie and Clyde running around together getting up to all sorts of mischief. When there was just Pingu and Hoppy left Pingu took charge of Hoppy straight away and mothered her. Hoppy has always appeared the baby out of all the ducks even though she was the same age as Twister & Dorcus. Dorcus was later nicknamed Optrex because she kept getting sore eyes :(. Hoppys real name is Zillah but we changed it to Hoppy because she has a limp as is so clumsy and had a 2nd injury to her leg. She is now known as Hoppy Nine Lives because she survived the fox attack, bless her :D.

Quite a few of the ducks were named after the characters in Larkrise to Candleford in case anyone was wondering ;)

Edwink

Hens & ducks chat thread
  • edited 17 July 2019 at 10:05AM
    maddiemaymaddiemay Forumite
    4.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 July 2019 at 10:05AM
    I love the thought of you both sitting chatting with Hoppy, yesterday while I was gardening I was talking to a baby Robin and a young very spotty blackbird, neither of which seemed to have learned to be cautious around human beans yet. They both kept coming back and getting within a couple of feet of me all afternoon, as and when I spotted them (head down weeding herbaceous border) I did my statue impressions and just loved their presence. They were later rewarded with several handfuls of dried meal worms as there are no worms to be found in my newly dug bits of soil.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)