Forum Home » Greenfingered MoneySaving

Keeping hens and ducks chat. Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day. - Page 111

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Keeping hens and ducks chat. Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day.

edited 7 April at 4:05AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
2.6K replies 325.6K views

Replies

• edwink wrote: »
    Nice to have a new face to our hen thread, welcome.

Talking about craters I have two huge ones in my garden you can literately get 4 to 6 hens in at any one time. They have been flicking soil everywhere this past couple of days. The area where my hens dig is shaded by bushes and an apple tree so nice cool soil under there for them. They have also been digging and bathing area in the soil by a fence in our garden so I actually had to fill it back in and place a brick there because in a day or so they were nearly in to our next door neighbours garden. Aww bless them!!

Agree about the destruction of ones garden. In the end with our garden we fenced the section off by our house with netting so we could have a piece to ourselves without the poo, discarded feathers and anything else they care to leave behind. We have a cottage style garden whereby the plants die off over the Winter and reshoot again in the Spring. So we allow our hens and ducks in to our garden too during the Winter and I am not joking but they can all demolish a 25ft x 15ft lawn in one week. Then it is a mud bath for the rest of the winter until it reshoots again. Then in Spring we have to add some new grass seed to the areas that have been scratched to bits.

Oh the joys of owning hens :rotfl: Not to mention the fresh eggs that are bright orange just like the sun. Who could ask for more?:) I adore my hens, absolutely adore them.

Edwink

No one who doesn't keep hens can understand how bloody dirty they are :)

I thought once the dog died my house would be spotless. Not a mission:rotfl: Now is coated with shavings,straw and poop :eek:

We spend a fortune on chicken wire as they dig deeper and deeper. Luckily our neighbour keeps hens so is understanding when he finds half of ours in with his. But the rear of our land looks like steptoes yard with ad hoc fencing

And lawn:rotfl::rotfl: No such luck. Between the hens eating it and scratching it up and the amount of water used on it washing off poo for when the grandkids are here, it's kind of non existent

I love my girls, but at the same time they are a tie. No lie ins as they want out at dawn. No late home in the evenings as they need a head count, perched ( if they don't know how) and locked in. Weekends are spent cleaning them out, taking the waste to the dump and trips to the timber yard for shavings to keep their run clean and free of mud.

And of course there's the infliction that is known as chicken math. Start of thinking 4 is more then enough, then deciding how little garden one actually needs as more and more gets taken oven by the ever increasing flock :rotfl:
  • Jojo_the_TightfistedJojo_the_Tightfisted Forumite
    27.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Posted this on another section but was re-directed here:

Any advice?

I'm really pleased you took mine - now you're in though, you'll never leeaavvee [goes into terrible air guitar solo]. I haven't been around chickens for years, but I still lurk [hi guys :hello: ] just to hear the tales of how these stupid, clever, near psychopathic little dinosaurs drive their staff to distraction. Not enough about cats being bullied relentlessly by them, in my opinion, though. Or how, if you get the right accommodation and you have time to waste, if you stay there for long enough you can catch an egg as it's laid and gently squeeze and it'll harden with your finger marks in them. Or how you'll find yourself able to tell from the racket they make whether it's a egg the size of a Tyrannosaur's, a visiting animal or they're just hot, tired, bored and grumpy. Whilst you are still in the kitchen trying to have a cuppa undisturbed.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Jojo, the grandkids love to catch a new egg and put nail designs on them :)

As for the poor cat, well he knows to just sit back when they barge in the back door to raid his bowl :rotfl:

As for the noise generated when a egg is laid, well you would think the noisier they are the larger the egg yes? Not one girl of mine. Omg she was going potty 'Buck Buck bucking ' at the top of her voice for about 30 mins after laying so I went and checked, and thought a sparrow could have laid bigger :rotfl::rotfl:
    27.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jojo, the grandkids love to catch a new egg and put nail designs on them :)

As for the poor cat, well he knows to just sit back when they barge in the back door to raid his bowl :rotfl:

As for the noise generated when a egg is laid, well you would think the noisier they are the larger the egg yes? Not one girl of mine. Omg she was going potty 'Buck Buck bucking ' at the top of her voice for about 30 mins after laying so I went and checked, and thought a sparrow could have laid bigger :rotfl::rotfl:

Yes. Buck-buck-buck-buckbuckbuckBWAAAARKBWAAAAARKBWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

Most Rhodies - something the size of a Goose Egg. One, something the size of a marble.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
  • It's my Rhodies that have slowed down laying, one is 3.5, the other 2 are 2.5. Such beautiful birds
    I've a couple of leghorns, really lovely birds but very skittish a couple of bluebells, lovely grey/blue and first in the line for anything :) The amber stars are the boldest, soon as the back door is ajar, in the kitchen they are, eating the cat food. Just got some daisybells, they are just maturing. Very friendly and amazing colours. The green that highlights the black is just an amazing jade, but then there's purple in them as well. And lastly, my fav, a single Sussex. Lays the most lovely eggs. And looks like how a chicken should look iykwim :). I'm waiting for a couple more as they are very popular and the fella I buy from just can't keep up with demand. He owes us a few as we hatched a couple of brahamas last year who turned into really good specimens and gave them to him for showing and breeding from.

I'm thinking of building up the flock next year but in order to do so will need to use the front garden. It's all grass and trees ATM so plenty of space. Not sure what the neighbours will think though...........
    27.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to explain to the OH why so many chickens are called Elvis today.

Don't ask how we got onto this subject.

For a country lad, he's a bit vague sometimes.
  • edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loss another ex-batt tonight. Only started to be rather quiet yesterday morning and just sat by the water bowl. She did climb the small steps to go in their hut last night but sat just inside the doorway so I lifted her carefully and put her in the nesting box for the night. This morning she came out on her own down the steps and just sat down so I put her near the water bowl so she could get a drink if she wanted one. Kept checking on her throughout the day and she never moved all day. Went up after supper to check on her again and she was gone. Bless her!!

I am going to have a heavy loss this year because over 10 of mine are all the same age and ex-batts. A few of them are slowing down and going to bed earlier than some of the others.:(

How is everyone else and their girls and boys??

Off to change the number of hens in my signature again :(

Edwink
    3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter
    1 Cayuga duck Hoppy & 23 ex-battery hens - RIP Pingu :love:
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • ali-tali-t Forumite
    3.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of your loss, so sad. Our 4 remaining hens don't seem too traumatised by the fox incident and we are hoping to stock up on hens next month. Hope everyone's hens are coping with the changeable weather.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • StarShapedPegStarShapedPeg Forumite
    147 posts
    Hi everyone, my three spent the last week flopped in the path because of the heat, any movement resulted in grumpy panting and irritated heaving to the dust bath. They've cooled down a bit now just in time for another broody cycle!
    None of them can catch a break this year!
    So sorry to hear of your loss Edwink again. I don't think it gets easier.xxxx
    #138 - The "Save 12k in 2017" challenge :j
    #019 - The “Save 12k in 2018” challenge
  • edwinkedwink Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you ali-t and StarShapedPeg

It doesn't get any easier does it?. I just have too keep reminding myself that we did everything for them in their retirement and gave them a good and fun retirement here. They literately couldn't have wanted for anything. Fresh food, clean place to sleep, places to run around, places to shelter when too warm, places to dust bathe, fresh drinking water everyday and lots and lots of love not to mention treats as well.

Short lives sometimes but fun and happy lives :)

Edwink x
    3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter
    1 Cayuga duck Hoppy & 23 ex-battery hens - RIP Pingu :love:
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209