Sim only in Switzerland

Options
allyl22
allyl22 Posts: 17 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
My daughter is going to work in Switzerland for a year . She is currently on Vodafone in the uk with 6months left on contract . My initial thoughts are to get a local sim in Zurich and let her current contract run out . Does anyone know of a good provider in Switzerland ?

Comments

• Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As in the UK, there are a number of providers with different offers. You'll need to work out your daughter's needs. For example, will she need a contract with included calls or PAYG, and that depends on how much she will call in Switzerland and abroad, e.g. home?

FWIW, my wife and I have 2 PAYG phones. One is with Salt (formerly Orange). The tariff is Prepay World, which gives us domestic Swiss calls at either CHF 0.29 or 0.39 per minute (I'm in Switzerland on a dodgy web connection and Salt's pages are taking too long to download) - quit expensive but calls back to the UK and elsewhere cost just CHF 0.03 per minute.

Our other deal may be more suitable. It's with Toggle and offers calls between a dozen or so countries for 3p per minute to landlines and mobiles (in some countries mobiles cost 9p per minute) using Toggle's local numbers - free for a month or £5 a year. See http://www.togglemobile.co.uk/home/en for details.

So she could have a permanent UK mobile number as well as a Swiss number making calls between the UK and Switzerland for 3p per minute. It suits us. Whether it would suit your daughter only you can know. :)
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Switzerland

My Swiss SIM card is Salt (previously Orange). I'm not sure whether it's the best deal was but it was when I got it 3 years ago. Swisscom is the previous monopoly and has the best coverage, but it is the most expensive. In Switzerland, even the network with the worst coverage will be better than the UK network with the best coverage. The Swiss expect quality, and mobile coverage is no exception.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure