Child Tax Benedits - paying back!

Options
Hello, need some advice, reassurance ....

We need to redo my husband's self assessment tax because I stupidly forgot to tell him that we claimed CB in 2013-2014 but have stopped over a year ago. (actually didn't realise he was/had completed it) and he hasn't a clue about whether or not we received it as it was paid to my account

So, now we have a letter saying that he didn't include it and has to re-do his form!! Obviously we have to pay some (a lot?) back I think it is maybe 1k - 2k not sure as I don't know his exact salary at that time.

We don't have the money to pay back in full, but can do this instalments. I know that the tax office could change his tax code, which wouldn't be great! I am really panicking! I feel so responsible because it was down to my stupidity.

Has anyone else experienced something similar with paying back tax.

I am now plucking up the courage to call my parents and ask if they could help us and we can pay them back. But I feel so stupid!!!!
We moved overseas with his job which is why I completely forgot about it!
Arrgh!
So, yes, stupid, naive of me and so angry with myself! So, I don't need reminding of that, just need to know that this isn't the end of the world as I have never been in a situation like this. I wish I had just stopped them at the beginning, but there were other priorities happening at the time with family illness so I wasn't on the ball!

😪

Comments

• MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    When you know how much you need to repay you can phone them and have a payment plan. I was self employed so had plenty of overpayments\underpayments. They are fine for arranging payment plans. If you still claim they will reduce your payments, otherwise they will set up a monthly DD.
  • drazzin66
    drazzin66 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you MataNui, I feel unbelievably sick over this, because I know that it is due to my ignorance/stupidity. I feel better knowing that we can work out a payment plan.

My husband is also waiting for some tax back - would they offset this against it?
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    drazzin66 wrote: »
    Thank you MataNui, I feel unbelievably sick over this, because I know that it is due to my ignorance/stupidity. I feel better knowing that we can work out a payment plan.

My husband is also waiting for some tax back - would they offset this against it?
    Nothing to worry about. The HMRC "can" be quite accommodating. They can offset but it's more likely they'll send you a payment for one thing then ask for a payment to be sent to them if it's a different thing such as year or type of payment.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure