New Post Advanced Search

Cap Quest

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
4 replies 951 views
scunnerscunner Forumite
42 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
Hi

I'd really appreciate any input with this query please as I'm not sure how best to proceed.

Capquest recently asked me for a copy of my credit file so as they could investigate why payments I've made are shown as late on my Experian file. They stated they have no record of a repayment agreement being in place with them. They now say the payments are being made to Marbles in the first instance before reaching them which is what payments are being marked as late. Capquest have also sent a cop[y of a letter they claim to have sent in 2012 confirming they have bought the account from Marbles. Capquest end their letter by saying they've placed the account on hold until mid July asking me how I wish to proceed.

Am I legally obliged to continue to pay this account to Capquest at all? I'm certain I didn't receive the letter they claim to have sent in 2012. At the very least, surely they should accept the repayments were not late as they were made correctly so far as I was aware at the time?

Thanks.

Replies

• National_DebtlineNational_Debtline Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Scunner

I don't see any obvious grounds for the debt becoming unenforceable altogether - someone will be entitled to collect on it, whether Capquest or others. The accuracy of the reporting to the credit reference agencies is a separate matter. Presumably, for the account to have changed hands back in 2012 it was already the subject of some sort of reduced payment arrangement at the time - can you confirm and elaborate?

How long have you actually been aware that the debt is in Capquest's hands? From your post it appears that you have continued to send payments to Marbles during this period - have I got that right?

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • scunnerscunner Forumite
    42 posts
    Hi Dennis

Thanks for your reply. I had a reduced repayment agreement with Marbles until they wrote to me in November 2012 that they had assigned the account to Capquest who then wrote to me that...."the assignment will not affect the payment arrangement you have made through Stepchange Debt Charity. We will be contacting Step Change to arrange for the payments that you are making in respect of your credit card account to be sent to us. You should continue to make these payments as before". I hadn't previously heard of Stepchange and still don't understand their relevance.

I therefore continued making the payments to Marbles in the belief this was correct.

I might well be confusing whatever legislation covers this type of arrangement! Particularly as Cahoot wrote-off an outstanding balance on that credit card account, seemingly because they had not been sending me notices or reminders about the outstanding balance. I contacted National Debtline last year about this and although I didn't really understand the reply, Cahoot's explanation seemed to be relevant under the CCA 2006.

As ever I'm quite confused about various aspects! Very grateful for any further input please if possible.
  • National_DebtlineNational_Debtline Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi again Scunner

Firstly, sorry for not noticing your follow-up query sooner - I don't get automatic notifications so will occasionally lose track of replies.

This:

scunner wrote: »
    they wrote to me in November 2012 that they had assigned the account to Capquest who then wrote to me that...."the assignment will not affect the payment arrangement you have made through Stepchange Debt Charity. We will be contacting Step Change to arrange for the payments that you are making in respect of your credit card account to be sent to us. You should continue to make these payments as before". I hadn't previously heard of Stepchange and still don't understand their relevance.

is odd to say the least - it looks like Capquest have got their wires crossed completely - UNLESS you had been dealing with Stepchange under their previous name of Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS). They rebranded as Stepchange in November 2012, more or less at exactly the same time that Capquest wrote to you.

Does that help things make any more sense?

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • scunnerscunner Forumite
    42 posts
    Hi Dennis

Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. I'm more lost than ever really!! I think I did make an enquiry of CCCS though I don't understand why that would be relevant to Capquest - I didn't have a DMA in place or anything of that kind.

Would it be possible to contact you at NDL? I'd really appreciate further guidance on this if possible?

Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support