UKCPS PCN and Signage Discrepancies

I've just obtained a PCN from UKCPS requesting £100 reduced to £60 if paid within 14 days. Was parked outside my workplace on a private road which for the past couple of months hasn't been enforced. This I believe was due to the landlord not renewing their contract with UKCPS.

After getting the notice, I've contacted the buildings reception and they have confirmed that from today UKCPS are now contracted to issue PCN's. :(

Fair cop, so to speak, there are plenty of notices that say it's a private road.

Only several notices contradict each other and these again aren't consistent with the parking charge notice I had stuck to the windscreen.

PCN says £60 increasing to £100 if not paid within 14 days.

Majority of signs say £60 increasing to £85 if paid within 14 days.

The sign nearest to where I was parked says £65 increasing to £60 if not paid within 14 days.

Yes, the last sign indicates the charge is lower if paid after 14 days.

It looks as though previously the charge was £65 and they stuck £60 stickers over the top. I think this is to do with what they are allowed to charge outside London. But it looks like they've stuck one of the £60 stickers on the increased charge (after 14 day) by mistake. It doesn't look like it's been done recently and it doesn't look like it's been moved by 'someone' either.

So armed with photos of all the current signage, what should I do. Just sit tight and wait for any follow up letters. I'd guess worse case is £85. But can I argue that the sign where I was says £60? Or will they try and enforce the £100 as per the PCN?

Personally, I don't think their inconsistent charges and signage would hold up in court, so think I'm going to opt for sitting tight.

Although I will to contact the buildings landlord and play to their better nature to see if they can get it cancelled.

Replies

• FruitcakeFruitcake Forumite
    52.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    W1zz wrote: »
    I've just obtained a PCN from UKCPS requesting £100 reduced to £60 if paid within 14 days. Was parked outside my workplace on a private road which for the past couple of months hasn't been enforced. This I believe was due to the landlord not renewing their contract with UKCPS.

After getting the notice, I've contacted the buildings reception and they have confirmed that from today UKCPS are now contracted to issue PCN's. :(

Fair cop, so to speak, there are plenty of notices that say it's a private road.

Only several notices contradict each other and these again aren't consistent with the parking charge notice I had stuck to the windscreen.

PCN says £60 increasing to £100 if not paid within 14 days.

Majority of signs say £60 increasing to £85 if paid within 14 days.

The sign nearest to where I was parked says £65 increasing to £60 if not paid within 14 days.

Yes, the last sign indicates the charge is lower if paid after 14 days.

It looks as though previously the charge was £65 and they stuck £60 stickers over the top. I think this is to do with what they are allowed to charge outside London. But it looks like they've stuck one of the £60 stickers on the increased charge (after 14 day) by mistake. It doesn't look like it's been done recently and it doesn't look like it's been moved by 'someone' either.

So armed with photos of all the current signage, what should I do. Just sit tight and wait for any follow up letters. I'd guess worse case is £85. But can I argue that the sign where I was says £60? Or will they try and enforce the £100 as per the PCN?

Personally, I don't think their inconsistent charges and signage would hold up in court, so think I'm going to opt for sitting tight.

Although I will to contact the buildings landlord and play to their better nature to see if he can get it cancelled.

Do not ignore it.

Read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES whilst you wait for the NTK to arrive. By the time you get that you will know how to appeal using all the appeal points in the NEWBIES template.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UKCPS are IPC members and you will have access to their IAS appeals process. The IAS only uphold around 1 in 5 of the appeals made to them, so heavily weighted in favour of the parking operators.

But ... signage is one of the appeal points where there has been a minor pattern of positive outcomes and given what you say about the inconsistencies and confusion, you might just have a chance of being 'one of the few'!

So wait for the NtK to arrive, but in the meantime look at some of the phrasing used in appeals on the signage front. It's good that you've got photos of the varying signage - you will need to submit these as evidence with your appeal, so hang on to them.

Here's a link to some POPLA appeals - not that you can use POPLA, but they will give you some ideas on phrasing.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=62180281&postcount=15
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides