High loss to Spain, is it just me?!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
17 replies 1.4K views
celestiuscelestius Forumite
1.1K Posts
PPI Party Pooper
I have a relatively high amount of INR with Spain, thinking of blocking them after yet another one today. Anyone else finding the same?

Replies

• campdavecampdave Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Post is slow over there, so items probably aren't lost, just delayed.

Weigh up the profit over the hassle and loss and block if it's causing too many headaches and you don't rely on them.

I don't have an issue with sending stuff there, but sell very little stuff abroad these days.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Spain can be an issue and I have had it blocked before but it is a very good market for me.

A lot of the addresses are not delivered straight to the house either, so that can cause issues. My friend who lives out there has a full postal address (ie not a PO box) but all mail is held at a local office , some of ti locked away, occasionally some not, and she collects it every few days by showing an ID card with her address. Last year she had a couple of issues, mainly with the office never being open to enable her to collect (it is usually a few hours a day 4 days a week at best), and I started sending her mail to a bar nearby that another friend owned as they got their post direct.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • celestiuscelestius Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    PPI Party Pooper
    soolin wrote: »
    Spain can be an issue and I have had it blocked before but it is a very good market for me.

A lot of the addresses are not delivered straight to the house either, so that can cause issues. My friend who lives out there has a full postal address (ie not a PO box) but all mail is held at a local office , some of ti locked away, occasionally some not, and she collects it every few days by showing an ID card with her address. Last year she had a couple of issues, mainly with the office never being open to enable her to collect (it is usually a few hours a day 4 days a week at best), and I started sending her mail to a bar nearby that another friend owned as they got their post direct.

This buyer is also saying that she has her own box at the sorting office who call when items arrive.
    Have asked buyer to open an INR case in order to get refund and she says she is happy to wait a few more days... So I have a few days grace!
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    celestius wrote: »
    This buyer is also saying that she has her own box at the sorting office who call when items arrive.
    Have asked buyer to open an INR case in order to get refund and she says she is happy to wait a few more days... So I have a few days grace!

The Spanish system that I've seen with my friend is very understaffed, for a country with such high unemployment to have an office closed for most of the week seems very odd.

Once when we went we had about 3 attempts to find someone to open up for us, luckily we tracked the clerk down having his lunch in a local tapas bar. He came back with us, had a rummage about on the desk (and under it) and managed to track down a whole load of parcels for her. Her post box is tiny, so basically everything else is just left lying around.

Although my friend is remote her local town is a large one, this is not a backwater area where everything relies on trust, this is a proper postal office (not a post office though).

I'm going there next week and have half my weight allowance for her so she can have items taken in from the UK and not rely on the post.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • DD265DD265 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I worked for a mail order company we had a lot of theft in Spain if we used a courier, but the postal service wasn't bad.
  • TKPetersTKPeters Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭
    Are these tracked?

• celestiuscelestius Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    PPI Party Pooper
    TKPeters wrote: »
    Are these tracked?

No! I don't send tracked for low value items...
  • Contains_Mild_PerilContains_Mild_Peril Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spain and Italy are both notorious for postal losses and delays.
  • martindowmartindow Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spain and Italy are both notorious for postal losses and delays.
    Do you find them the same? I've found Italy to be terrible for slowness and disappearing completely. Spain I've found to be not as bad - slow but fewer total losses.
  • Italy is one of the worst. I had it blocked for a long time but someone said sales there are good so I unblocked it. We definitely get more INRs reported from Italy but the profit from the successful sales far outweigh the losses.

Never had a problem with Spain. Although just today I had a Spanish customer asking for a tracking number for a low value order! I'm expecting an INR from that one shortly :(
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals