Seller bought phone - got a bad feeling

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
11 replies 1.1K views
Nix143Nix143 Forumite
1.1K Posts
Hi

i had a Blackberry listed as Buy It now

Someone has bought it and Paypal'd the money

However their user name made me suspicious - looking they have no feedback and their account was created on the day they bought the phone.

Does anyone know the process for returning their money and NOT sending them the phone? I'm out of touch with the whole Paypal thing but can they now request their money back leaving them with the money AND the phone?

Any quick advice? Sorry I wasn't sure exactly how to search for this, I'm sure its been answered before
Comps £2016 in 2016 - 1 wins = £530 26.2%
SEALED POT CHALLENGE MEMBER No. 428 2015 - £210.93

Replies

• HappyMJHappyMJ Forumite
    21.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why? Just send the phone registered post. Take photos of the item which you would have done anyway and you'll be fine. An experienced buyer who might have great feedback as they've been buying things worth pennies could do a runner as well.

If you really can't trust an Ebay purchaser then don't sell on Ebay.

They can't request the money back and have the phone. They could keep the phone if you let them but as long as you agree for it to be returned then you can have it back. If it's not as described then you'll have to pay for the return postage. A new buyer probably won't know they can return an item which is not as described for a full refund.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • steviebabessteviebabes Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean by their username made you suspicious? If they registered on the day they bought your phone then they might have bought as a guest and been given a random username by ebay. You can request a cancellation of the sale but unless the buyer agrees you will get a defect if you don't send it out.
  • Nix143Nix143 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Ok. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm sure I'd read somewhere about people running scams on higher value items and the combo of a weird name/newprofile/prompt payment made me a bit wary. Normally I'd mention minimum number of feedback needed. However I've stopped Ebaying and threw this listing up. Thanks for the advice.

• campdavecampdave Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    Take photos of the item which you would have done anyway and you'll be fine.

Any photos you take are useless.

Post the phone using special delivery to ensure it is tracked and properly ensured, enter the tracking number into ebay.

Most transactions on ebay are completed successfully, so take sensible precautions and then try not to worry.
  • HappyMJHappyMJ Forumite
    21.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    campdave wrote: »
    Any photos you take are useless.

Post the phone using special delivery to ensure it is tracked and properly ensured, enter the tracking number into ebay.

Most transactions on ebay are completed successfully, so take sensible precautions and then try not to worry.
    Could be useful if a non working phone with a different IMEI number is returned to you...although it is as you say useless. It's your word against theirs.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Nix143Nix143 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Phone is sealed in the box as it's never even been opened. I've taken photo of IMEI from the box. As always I it's a bit of a fingers crossed jobbie - I think it's because the value is high that I am a bit twitchy. Cheers

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a read of the sticky postage thread that explains about seller protection. Remember to keep all tracking details and proof of posting for a minimum of 180 days.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • mrsHall2bmrsHall2b Forumite
    521 Posts
    always note down the IMEI number and any other individual serial numbers or identifying features.

my ebay username is randomly generated by ebay, Ive never bothered changing it, and I recently opened up a new account so only have 11 feedback currently.
  • Hermione_GrangerHermione_Granger Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    Could be useful if a non working phone with a different IMEI number is returned to you...although it is as you say useless. It's your word against theirs.

In one sentence you state that a photograph "could be useful" & "it is as you say useless"??

A photograph proves nothing even if it shows a box, phone and IMEI number as there is nothing to prove that any phone sent or returned was the one in the photo.
    How-to-Check-if-an-iPhone-is-Original-or-Fake-iPhone-4s-Box-Bottom-back.png
    and there are dozens (if not hundreds) of similar pic's available by doing a quick search on the internet.
  • RFWRFW Forumite
    9.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nix143 wrote: »
    Phone is sealed in the box as it's never even been opened. I've taken photo of IMEI from the box. As always I it's a bit of a fingers crossed jobbie - I think it's because the value is high that I am a bit twitchy. Cheers
    I understand there is some importance to a sealed box but you have the possibility that you've sent a non working or damaged item and couldn't prove otherwise as you never checked it.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals