Odd feedback request

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
11 replies 1.7K views
soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
67.9K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭✭
I bought an item from a business seller , it arrived and I left positive feedback. I also ordered another one.a week or two later

The second one arrived yesterday and before I have even had a chance to really look at it I had a message from the seller;

Your xx was scheduled to arrive by Friday so it should be with you now. Can we please ask that you leave feedback as required by ebay as ebay say feedback is an integral part of the buying process and benefits both buyer and seller, not leaving feedback impacts on our business and may result in us having to raise prices. We would refer you to the note on our listings and included in the package explaining the 5* process , please contact us before leaving anything other than 5* as ebay would expect only 5* to be left without any contact from buyer first.

Interestingly although I left positive 5* feedback for the first item, I note they have left none for me. Whilst I don't really care a fig about getting feedback on my buying account it does seem odd to hassle so much for it from a buyer when leaving none themselves.

I have decided to leave none at all for the second item for the time being.
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide

Replies

• LadyDeeLadyDee Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Those emails are generated automatically, and often business sellers set up the giving of their feedback once a month or so.
  • skintpaulskintpaul Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    I would neg them- very pushy.
    breathe in, breathe out- You're alive! Everything else is a bonus, right? RIGHT??
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Those emails are generated automatically, and often business sellers set up the giving of their feedback once a month or so.

Why would any seller risk poor feedback by hassling in such a way?
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • LadyDeeLadyDee Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    soolin wrote: »
    Why would any seller risk poor feedback by hassling in such a way?

It's just the way ebay works - many settings are by default and it's quite possible the seller is not aware those emails are being sent. As for negging as suggested by skintpaul - quite ridiculous, and could result in the buyer possibly being put on other sellers' banned buyers' lists.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just the way ebay works - many settings are by default and it's quite possible the seller is not aware those emails are being sent. As for negging as suggested by skintpaul - quite ridiculous, and could result in the buyer possibly being put on other sellers' banned buyers' lists.

I am primarily a seller and although I am not at all techie I am completely aware of what personlised emails I am sending. Ebay don't just make up personalised emails to bother buyers with- it takes seller input to do that. Whilst I agree that ebay have some serious glitches, automatically sending emails that know when an item was scheduled to arrive , know the item purchased and beg for 5 * mentioning an ebay policy about 5* that does not exist seems a bit random even for ebay.

I am not leaving feedback for this seller and hope they are not daft enough to ask again as although I would never leave poor feedback for this, I certainly would not be leaving 5* if they do contact me again making up ebay policy as they go along.
    New to Forum? Guide
  • pinkshoespinkshoes Forumite
    18.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would leave a 3* for communication, as the email is pushy and their grammar is terrible!

I would then be tempted to email them inquiring about the 5* feedback you left last week, and if feedback as they say is so important to both themselves and their buyers, then why haven't they bothered to leave you any feedback?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • mrcol1000mrcol1000 Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do not think it is just companies on Ebay that annoy their customers with feedback requests. I get sick to death of getting e-mails requesting I fill in a survey every time I buy anything on the internet. If I get amazing service or bad service then I will get in touch with the company. I do not need a 20 minute survey to fill in.
  • theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    15.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Template emails are not default, the seller needed to set up AND word that email.

Any seller will be quite aware of what's being sent, there is a tab on each sale that gives all the message sent email details.
  • skintpaulskintpaul Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    why have a negative feedback option then?

Buyers need to be aware of any problems.. If only all 'good' reviews, they get a false impression?
    breathe in, breathe out- You're alive! Everything else is a bonus, right? RIGHT??
  • bxboardsbxboards Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    skintpaul wrote: »
    why have a negative feedback option then?

Buyers need to be aware of any problems.. If only all 'good' reviews, they get a false impression?

Feedback is for giving notice for genuine problems with a transaction.

If you are so irritated by an e-mail as to go to the trouble of leaving a negative, then I reckon a blood pressure appointment with your Doctor would be advised - if anything serious happened, I think you will blow your top.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals