Buyer wants to return item for a reason that's not my fault

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
8 replies 1.1K views
zulubabezulubabe Forumite
974 Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
I listed an item with no returns. It sold and I sent off the item. I've now had a message through that the buyer wants to return the item because she's had ops on her foot & the shoe doesn't fit on that foot as the leather isn't as soft as she thought it would be. She did contact me to ask whether the shoes were comfy - I responded that they are. She didn't point out in her original email that she had had foot surgery or ask whether the leather was soft or I would have answered differently.

What on earth do I do now? I have perfect feedback & am scared that she's going to open a case.:mad:

Thanks to anyone who helps me in this!
2019 Wins: Feb: £10 Aldi Voucher, Frankie & Benny's meal for 2; May: Game from Maynards. June: 2x tickets to Foodies Festival July: £100 September: £30; October: £1000, Goldfinch Merch Pack

Thanks those who post Comps

Replies

• RFWRFW Forumite
    9.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    zulubabe wrote: »
    I listed an item with no returns. It sold and I sent off the item. I've now had a message through that the buyer wants to return the item because she's had ops on her foot & the shoe doesn't fit on that foot as the leather isn't as soft as she thought it would be. She did contact me to ask whether the shoes were comfy - I responded that they are. She didn't point out in her original email that she had had foot surgery or ask whether the leather was soft or I would have answered differently.

What on earth do I do now? I have perfect feedback & am scared that she's going to open a case.:mad:

Thanks to anyone who helps me in this!
    Easiest option, tell her to return (at her expense) and then refund.

Second option, stand your ground and say no. There's the possibility that buyer will open a case for not as described (not soft enough) and then you'd have to pay return postage and refund.

In the latter you may end up with Ebay finding for you, you may not. It would be more protracted and could end up with poor feedback and defects.

In my experience if you tell someone to return something, 50% of the time they don't bother, especially if they're paying.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I will assume you are a private seller and these are your own second hand shoes you are selling.

Has a case of any description been opened?

If not, you have two choices. One be firm and say no and suggest she sells the shoes on, this of course risks poor feedback and stars - so check whether your account can take that. Second option is to tell her to return them fully tracked and then refund her original payment. The cost of return might make her change her mind.

If any case is open, or is opened later then my advice may well change.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • zulubabezulubabe Forumite
    974 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks both. I am a private seller and these are my own second hand shoes. I am not sure if a case has been opened or not - just a request of a return. I have 100% feedback and 368 is my feedback score. I don't want to accept a return as then I'll be out of pocket (postage) for something that is not my fault.

Also I did not describe the leather as soft as she didn't ask about the leather so don't understand how she could win a case on this point.
    2019 Wins: Feb: £10 Aldi Voucher, Frankie & Benny's meal for 2; May: Game from Maynards. June: 2x tickets to Foodies Festival July: £100 September: £30; October: £1000, Goldfinch Merch Pack

• zulubabezulubabe Forumite
    974 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Guess what has just turned up? The shoes? I'm absoloutely furious as she only sent the message today? What do I do? Well I guess there's only one thing to do - refund :(

• soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks both. I am a private seller and these are my own second hand shoes. I am not sure if a case has been opened or not - just a request of a return. I have 100% feedback and 368 is my feedback score. I don't want to accept a return as then I'll be out of pocket (postage) for something that is not my fault.

Also I did not describe the leather as soft as she didn't ask about the leather so don't understand how she could win a case on this point.

Is this a formal request for a return, ie does it ask for you to confirm whether you will accept it or not, or is it just an ebay message from buyer?

Your choices are still the same as outlined above, your feedback doesn't matter it is your expanded seller dashboard you should look at to see if you can take a low star and /or poor feedback. In fact sellers should always check their defects on a regular basis to ensure that they are not dropping to below standard .
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check some of the threads on here where they laugh at sellers terms where they state no returns.

Having no returns in the settings means nothing. A buyer can still return the item if they choose the right reason.
    If its in the description i think that actually attracts the dodgy buyers, the ones that know you cannot uphold that and know that they simply claim the item is not as described and will get a full refund.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• bxboardsbxboards Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    She did contact me to ask whether the shoes were comfy - I responded that they are.

For future reference, when you get buyers asking idiotic questions like that, don't reply, just block them.

'comfy' is totally subjective, and to ask that sort of thing is pretty daft as you might have feet like Cinderella, and she might have feet like a penguin's flippers.

I always block buyers asking silly questions, as I find this sort of asker seems to always end up causing trouble!
  • fishybusinessfishybusiness Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Having no returns in the settings means nothing. A buyer can still return the item if they choose the right reason.

Indeed!

The days of a listing saying no returns and being able to enforce it are long gone.

Sell something as used, partially faulty or for spares and buyer can wreck it, break it, otherwise tinker with it and then request a return and mostly get a refund.

Terrible, terrible rules....must stop there........
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides