Forum Home» Green & Ethical MoneySaving

Green, ethical, energy issues in the news (last 2 weeks) - Page 249

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Green, ethical, energy issues in the news (last 2 weeks)

edited 9 October 2018 at 10:41AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
5.3K replies 416.4K views

Replies

• PiddlesPiddles Forumite
    123 posts
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Rather than off-sets etc, could we simply require airlines to buy/use bio-fuel? Start with a percentage X and set annual increases to 100% by say 2030/40 perhaps?
    That's far too sensible to be practical.:rotfl:

The main obstacle seems to be the old removes agricultural land from food production point. So does that make it choice between meat or flying?

There's also one that I can personally confirm. Nitrile based seals tend to shrink once the bio/fossil ratio reaches a certain point. My Aprilia motorbike uses this type of seal where the fuel pump slots into the underside of the fuel tank. And where is the fuel tank? Right above the engine....

There's been a few total fire losses by the side of the road especially in the US where the bio ratio is higher in places.:eek:
  • Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Piddles wrote: »
    That's far too sensible to be practical.:rotfl:

The main obstacle seems to be the old removes agricultural land from food production point. So does that make it choice between meat or flying?

There's also one that I can personally confirm. Nitrile based seals tend to shrink once the bio/fossil ratio reaches a certain point. My Aprilia motorbike uses this type of seal where the fuel pump slots into the underside of the fuel tank. And where is the fuel tank? Right above the engine....

There's been a few total fire losses by the side of the road especially in the US where the bio ratio is higher in places.:eek:

TBH I was thinking hydrocarbons produced from Hydrogen (from RE leccy generation) and captured CO2.

Jet engines will burn pretty much anything, something Les Shockley can attest too.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • GreatApeGreatApe
    4.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I think this is well demonstrated by the nuclear industry in the US, who at 99 reactors are currently 'world leaders'.

Because the leccy generators have to compete for sales, nuclear has to be 'economic'. They have started shutting down some reactors early (before the end of life) because the cost of servicing and refueling them simply can't be recovered against future leccy prices.

They only have/had four reactors under construction, but two of those were halted mid build a year or so back (despite the $bn's spent) as they realised that on completion they would be un-economic and unable to sell at a profit.

So 99 ageing reactors and 2 new ones under construction, not looking good for the industry as big bad economics stomps all over it.

Yet 2018 was a record year for nuclear output in the USA

US nuclear power plants achieved their highest level of generation ever in 2018, despite the closure of several plants since the previous peak, according to the US Energy Information Administration (EIA).

The USA fleet is a very good example of a successful nuclear power generation

The fact that some old lower efficiency reactors are closing because natural gas is so cheap and wind farms and PV panels are subsidised into existence isn't proof that nuclear doesn't work it's proof that NAT gas is currently cheap in the USA and the economics are distorted due to brining online subsidised wind/PV

With regards to the USA nuclear fleet they could operate for another 50 years producing
    40,000 TWh of clean energy...why are you hoping they fail?
  • GreatApeGreatApe
    4.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ed110220 wrote: »
    This is one of the main reasons France never achieved 100% nuclear electricity, as that would involve building massively expensive reactors that were only used sometimes in winter.

This is really incorrect if you think of it properly
    Franc has achieved 100% nuclear in fact above 100% nuclear of her non heating electrical needs

Both France and the UK have electricity demand (for all things that use electricity minus heating) of roughly 300TWh/yr which makes sense both roughly the same population and same economic development

However the UK has some 35TWh additional electrical heating load and France has some 175TWh additional heating load. This is the reason the French use so much more electricity they just use a lot more electrical heating while we use a lot more gas fired boilers

So both countries have non heating electrical demand of about 300TWh, France produces 400TWh roughly per year in nuclear. So nuclear meets more than 100% it meets about 133% of their non heating electrical demand!!!

However since France has significant electrical heating demand and has significant hydropower the end result is something like 400TWh nuclear output 60TWh hydro output 70TWh other output (gas PV wind) so it is said 75% of France generation is from nuclear which is true. But closer to 85% of domestic consumption is nuclear (since they are a big net exporter) and roughly 97% of domestic consumption is provided by nuclear and hydropower

If you strip away electrical heating demand (say you covert all the electrically heated homes to gas boilers like the UK) you'd find Frances hydropower and nuclear generates 150% of her non heating electrical demand

So in France nuclear power both displaced fossil fuels for electricity generation but also a SIGNIFICANT portion of natural gas fired boilers (that were not built as they could heat their homes with nuclear&hydro electricity)

France has something like 14 million homes without gas boilers instead electric heating thanks to its nuclear fleet. By comparison the UK is about 2.5 million homes electricity heated so the French have some 12 million more fossil gas free homes than the UK does. Very significant and most people don't realise this.
  • edited 16 July 2019 at 3:40PM
    pile-o-stonepile-o-stone Forumite
    396 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 16 July 2019 at 3:40PM
    NigeWick wrote: »
    That is actually incorrect. Permaculture systems could feed more than 11 Billion and are regenerative rather than destructive as current farming is.

Do you mean hydroponics rather than permaculture?

However, I was referring to the western diet of meat and dairy produce* which we could not feed to 9 billion and certainly not 11 Billion. A plant based diet could feed that many people as we wouldn't be growing mono-crops to feed animals, we'd be growing mixed crops to feed humans.

EDIT: *Plus off-season vegetables, fruits and salads that are flown around the world.
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • zeupaterzeupater Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    ... There's also one that I can personally confirm. Nitrile based seals tend to shrink once the bio/fossil ratio reaches a certain point. My Aprilia motorbike uses this type of seal where the fuel pump slots into the underside of the fuel tank. And where is the fuel tank? Right above the engine....

Hi

... with the standard automotive fuel delivery engineering solution for quite a few decades being quite simple ... specify Viton, a material which is better suited to the application, possibly even being coloured green to differentiate materials! ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
    123 posts
    Plus off-season vegetables, fruits and salads that are flown around the world.
    Frustration at the lack of carbon emission related information is what brought me to this forum (https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6004983). To make responsible climate change aware buying decisions, society at large needs simple, quick, easy to understand information.

I'd like to see a mandatory emissions points system on all products. The pack of Chilean blueberries I bought from Tescos for example ought to have a whopping great red 10 on it for example.

Points based on distance travelled, amount/type of packaging, fertilizer/pestides, etc. Wouldn't be easy, but if based around existing standards from the soil association, etc.it wouldn't be beyond the whit of man.

I have more faith in citizenry than politicians looking to the next elections and CEOs looking to the next set of results.
    123 posts
    Michael Gove: Time running out to stop damage to planet

My Tescos is trialling one of these plastic bottle recycling machines. I rather dismissed it as little more than window dressing, but it's proving very popular which is good news. But you do get a 10p Tesocs voucher for each bottle (which is more than some bottles of water in store tehe).

I do find myself thinking that Gove ought to stay as Environment Secretary, it does seem that he would be effective.
  • edited 16 July 2019 at 10:29PM
    PiddlesPiddles Forumite
    123 posts
    edited 16 July 2019 at 10:29PM
    Von der Leyen elected EU Commission head after MEPs vote

She too has promised a carbon neutral EU by 2050. Interesting that the newly energised Green MEPs wouldn't vote for her because her climate change policies were too weak.
  • pile-o-stonepile-o-stone Forumite
    396 posts
    ✭✭

I do find myself thinking that Gove ought to stay as Environment Secretary, it does seem that he would be effective.

Has he actually done anything though? It just seems to be a big PR exercise with climate emergency declarations, commitments to tough CO2 targets, talk about a northern forest, yet I’ve not seen any of this put into action?
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.