IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Car registration

in Motoring
2 replies 502 views
My stepdad brought a new car yesterday on finance, I am the person paying for the finance of the car, he had to take the finance in his name as I only work part year and would have been refused. I will be the main driver of the car and it will be kept at my address. My question is can we take his name off the V5 registration document and put my name on it or will this affect the finance agreement. I'm currently getting insurance quotes that are £200 higher because I am not the legal owner or registered keeper!!

Replies

• marlotmarlot Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    What type of finance? PCP, HP, loan?
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    51.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you switch the registered keeper on the V5 then he will remain the legal owner regardless, as they are two separate things-he'll still be liable for the finance, and still the legal owner. However the car's value will be affected as it will then be 'secondhand'.
    This assumes that it has been bought on an unsecured personal loan.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Cheapest Christmas dinner

We've crunched the numbers to find the best prices

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum