How to finish tax credits claim

Options
Hi

I am still entitled to claim tax credits and have had no changes in circumstances - however if I rejig my finances I think I can stop claiming and manage by myself.

What is the best way to do this - and when?

Thanks

Comments

• moomoomama27
    moomoomama27 Posts: 3,823 Forumite
    Options
    I ended mine last week and had to lay back the first 5 weeks payments. You'll be best to end it sooner rather than later so you only have a smaller amount to pay back!
  • konark
    konark Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    Options
    Why the hell would you not claim money that the law says you are entitled to?
  • Maryelizabeth71
    Options
    Only because I want to stand on my own 2 feet and if I'm careful I will be able to do so. I don't feel good claiming and luckily for me I'm not in desparate need
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Only because I want to stand on my own 2 feet and if I'm careful I will be able to do so. I don't feel good claiming and luckily for me I'm not in desparate need

You are already standing on your own 2 feet by working...there is no stigma attached to claiming a little extra in tax credits. You pay tax on your earnings and this is basically a refund of that tax. It isn't much in any case. If you want to get off them then call them but they'll want whatever they've paid you back (for this year). It can get quite messy. You could just advise them you're now working less than 30 hours and they can recalculate them...you wouldn't owe anything then.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure