Redundancy threat in NHS lab.

Hi All.

I work in an NHS laboratory, I am a band 7 Team manager and I work alongside another band 7 BMS advanced. We share managerial responsibilty over band 7x band 6 BMS and 1 MLA.

A new lab structure has just been proposed and we are now 3/4 of the way through the consultation.

The proposed structure for my dept has 9x band 6 BMS and 1 band 7.

Clearly one of the band 7's, myself or my colleague will be out of luck.

So far management and HR's position is thus :-

1. We have had no 'at risk' notifications. They say that the unsuccessful applicant for the single band 7 job will have to take a band 6 job on protected pay as they deem it suitable so there is no risk of redundancy. This seems wrong to me surely the fact that they are talking about alternative roles means we are at risk ?

2. They tell us that if we dont apply for the job we will have to take a band 6 with no pay protection.

3. My manager gave me verbal assurances a year ago that this would not happen. He admitted this in a meeting with HR and union representation but said that ' things had changed'
Not holding out too much hope on this one as nothing written down but he did admit it in front of witnesses.

4. A suitable alternative band 7 job was filled only 2 weeks before the consultation document was distributed. They now say that the post had to 'urgently be filled for patient safety'.
It was a point of care lead role which is a new role in this trust, we havent had one in the 25 years ive worked here but now it cant wait a few months.

Myself and my colleague feel used and abused right now, we have worked over the last year to get our lab ISO accreditation, one of the few to achieve this thus far.

Upper management get the credit and we get to squabble for our job and downbanded if we dont get it.

Any advice would be welcomed

Thank you.

Comments

• shed35
    shed35 Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 May 2015 at 5:44PM
    Hi

The reason why you have not been put at 'risk' is because you have been 'matched' and have alignments right to the job at the same/ lower level. Not sure how it works with the nhs but in my previous organisation you need to have an 80% matched.

I would read the redundancy policy, redeployment and the restructure proposals and email any questions you have to HR as they have duty to answers your questions as you under consultation which is a legal process. If I do not answer, go to people in senior positions.

Most organisations can't cope with restructure and 'buckle' under the pressure so you need to keep going to get your questions answered.

I did 2 redundancies/restructure/tendering in 2 and half year and you cannot believe what a shamble it was but during consultation we did not let senior manager off of the 'hook' and asked 792 questions which they duly have to answered.

I hope this helps
  • firesidemaid
    firesidemaid Posts: 2,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Bake Off Boss!
    hi there.

not quite sure which discipline you're in - but did you say you are a band 7 team manager and your colleague is a band 7 advanced practitioner? are they combining these two roles?

are any of the band 6 positions due to be downgraded to band 5s at all?

is similar re-structuring also going on in the other pathology disciplines at the same time?

how long is the pay protection for? does it also include any on-call or ooh working?

I really feel for you, and this is happening around the country unfortunately. situations can and do change rapidly and your manager might have been correct at the time. as another poster has said, ask plenty of questions and engage with your union.

if you have legal cover on your home insurance you could ask for an opinion - are you a member of the ibms, as I think they also have a legal helpline. Acas is also available for assistance too.
  • firesidemaid
    firesidemaid Posts: 2,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Bake Off Boss!
    also, if this does all go ahead, whoever doesn't get the job will have to think about their pension too.

how old are you both - or how near retirement?

if for example, you are currently on the top of band 7 now, then unless you retire within 3 years of pay protection ending then your pension will then be based on the then band 6 salary.

is there a reason why the lab is so band 6 heavy?

also, you currently have 2 x band 7's and 7 x band 6's - did you say the new structure is for 1 x 7 & 9 x 6's? so are you also gaining yet another band 6?

the difference in pay between the tops of the 2 bands is 6k. if this really only affecting your dept can you find other ways of making recurring £6k+ savings so that you keep both band 7's.

I take it that your recent ISO success was obtained with the current (and not proposed) staff structure. what is the main reason behind these proposed changes?

best wishes
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport