🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Landlords Won't Take People On Housing Benefit

Options
Hi

My son had a brain aneurism which eventually led to going on ESA.
A second brain operation means he can't work at all and is on Support ESA with no likelihood of further improvement. This is approx £78.

Our local council will only pay £68.12 pwk when his room rent is £120 pwk. They say he can get more if he finds a self contained place.

Can't find a landlord willing to take anyone on Housing Benefit.
No council places available for single people.

He is reasonably able to care for himself but has other bad memory/stress issues that don't seem to qualify for PIP when we look at the categories.

Is it possible to get PIP if you;re not physically incapacitated?
Otherwise he's got nothing to live on. Help!

Comments

• backdoorwarrior
    backdoorwarrior Posts: 86 Forumite
    edited 18 May 2015 at 5:58PM
    Options
    Yes, it covers cognitive impairment too. He just needs to think how his cognition and concentration (and I'm assuming depression etc), and even perceptual problems if any, effects his ability to perform the tasks on the PIP form and then articulate this in his assessment.

I personally wonder if you're thinking of his ability to perform these tasks in terms of motor ability (e.g. able to prepare a meal), rather than forgets that he's put the oven on etc, has difficulty with planning how to make a meal , or has difficulty carrying out the tasks in the correct order, or makes utilisation mistakes such as putting an electric kettle on the gas hob etc. (these are hypothetical examples, but would not be unexpected in somebody who suffered brain injury).

Might also help if he's had an assessment from a neuropsychologist/occupational therapist, which may have highlighted his specific impairments in these domains.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,952 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    are you sure he's in the support group and not on assessment rate?
    in the support group he should be receiving around £125 a week.
    go to your council as they may hold a list of landlords that will take people on benefit.
    what is your local council/area?
  • Londonsu
    Londonsu Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    are you sure he's in the support group and not on assessment rate?
    in the support group he should be receiving around £125 a week.
    go to your council as they may hold a list of landlords that will take people on benefit.
    what is your local council/area?

Unfortunately some LL cant take people on benefits due to either their lenders or insurance companies rules, so its best to ask the council if they have a list
  • nannytone_2
    Options
    londonsu wrote: »
    unfortunately some ll cant take people on benefits due to either their lenders or insurance companies rules, so its best to ask the council if they have a list

i know.... That is why i suggested that the op ask the local council for a list of landlords that accept housing benefit ;)
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lots of landlords cannot take those receiving HB due to their mortgage/insurance.

I would have thought he would be in the support group, would he benefit from sheltered housing?
  • tea-bag
    tea-bag Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Their is a very good reason LL don't accept HB mostly not getting paid or trashing the place. Also from my point of view less wear and tear. When ever people on benefits are short of cash the iPhone always gets paid before the LL.
  • nannytone_2
    Options
    [such a sweeping generalisation!
    I am on benefits and dont even have a mobile phine!
    My bills are always up to date and you wont find a clraner, tidier home than mine!

I do accept that the rent may not be some peoples priority, when faced with difficult decisions, but to class all benefit claimants as irresponsible and dirty is just plainly wrong!/b]
  • nannytone_2
    Options
    gwylimt wrote: »
    lots of landlords cannot take those receiving hb due to their mortgage/insurance.

I would have thought he would be in the support group, would he benefit from sheltered housing?

being in the support group does not qualify anyone for sheltered housing.
    Even in an area like mine, that has vast quantities of sheltered housing, they are only available to the elderly.
    There is some 'supported housing' but it isnt as simple as just asking for it
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    being in the support group does not qualify anyone for sheltered housing.
    Even in an area like mine, that has vast quantities of sheltered housing, they are only available to the elderly.
    There is some 'supported housing' but it isnt as simple as just asking for it

I didn't say they were linked.
  • tea-bag
    tea-bag Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    [such a sweeping generalisation!
    I am on benefits and dont even have a mobile phine!
    My bills are always up to date and you wont find a clraner, tidier home than mine!

I do accept that the rent may not be some peoples priority, when faced with difficult decisions, but to class all benefit claimants as irresponsible and dirty is just plainly wrong!

Just personal experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family