No good deals on mobiles anymore?

Options
clayton16749
clayton16749 Posts: 205 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hello - I'm currently trying to sort out a new pay monthly phone. I've had a Samsung s3 for a couple of years now, ought just before the s4 came out.

My current deal is £32 a month for unlimited calls, texts, data. Which I think is quite good and I've been with Virgin for years now but they aren't offering anything near as good if I take out a new contract.

Has something changed in the mobile phone industry in the last couple of years? Companies don't seem to care about retaining customers anymore, whereas in the past they would offer a deal to keep you.

I'm now after an s5 (maybe an s6) - which are the best providers and which should I avoid?

Comments

• 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You won't get an s6 with those allowances for anywhere near £32 a month.

A mobile company will only want to keep you if you're making them money. If you're not then they don't care. Plain "loyalty" counts for nothing.

Look on third party sites for the best deals and combine these with Quidco or Top Cashback for a cashback lump sum.

No one can tell you what network is the best, or which ones to avoid. Everyone will have different opinions / experiences.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,075 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    how much data do you really use monthly??
  • clayton16749
    Options
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    You won't get an s6 with those allowances for anywhere near £32 a month.

A mobile company will only want to keep you if you're making them money. If you're not then they don't care. Plain "loyalty" counts for nothing.

Look on third party sites for the best deals and combine these with Quidco or Top Cashback for a cashback lump sum.

No one can tell you what network is the best, or which ones to avoid. Everyone will have different opinions / experiences.

Clearly not...and I'm just interested in a few opinions of others' experiences...

I'll have a look on those other sites you suggests, thanks.
  • clayton16749
    Options
    ballyblack wrote: »
    how much data do you really use monthly??

I don't need unlimited tbh - I think it was just a really good offer when I took out the last deal.

Speaking to the wife, 2gb is more than sufficient for her and our browsing habits are fairly similar so 2gb should do for me too.

I do need a new handset though - mine's a bit knackered now
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,075 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 May 2015 at 2:51PM
    Options
  • clayton16749
    Options
    ...some good deals with Tesco, just looking at those.

I've been on uswitch as well - but they seem to have contracts through other providers I've never heard of, such as phones.co.uk and mobile phones direct - anyone aware of any pitfalls with these companies?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Go with well known companies.
  • clayton16749
    Options
    Also looking at this

http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/contract_deal/6ae4428d4170ac8d58440300bb018b00c94fe13e?page=%2Fmobiles%2Fdeals%2Fsamsung_galaxy_s5%2F&position=55

Appears a good deal, but who are affordable mobiles uk? And how does the cash back work?
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Affordable Mobiles are something to do with Buy Mobiles.

The companies are registered at the same address in Alfreton, Derbys.

Given the fact that the Samsung S6 is a relatively new device and costs more SIM Free it's probable deals are 'thin' on the ground at the moment.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure