MSE blagged deal with EE last October

Last October I signed up to the MSE blagged deal with EE for phone line and broadband.

I paid the lump sum for 1 year phone rental up front for an amount I cannot recall exactly what it was (If necessary, I could find out through old bank statements).
As I recall, the rest of the offer was £120 Amazon vouchers (which I received without any problem) and Broadband and Weekend Calls for £2.50 per month, for 12 months. On top of that I opted in to an extra charge of £5 per month for Anytime calls.

Everything was going fine, until my last bill, the 7th month when the charge went up from £7.50 to £14.95 per month. I queried that with EE and they asked for proof that I signed up to a 12 month discount and not 6 months. Unfortunately, I cannot find anything :( - so I told them that it was the MSE offer I signed up to and could they check for me. Their response was basically words to the effect of "no, we won't check the details for you, if you don't provide proof, nothing will change" (obviously they didn't word it quite like that, but that's what I understood it to mean).

Now, I accept I was foolish not to keep the details, and also that I could have made an error and misread the offer (or misremembered it), but it seems a hell of a hike, and I'd never have signed up to a contract like that if I'd known the discount period was shorter than the contractual period. Does anyone here still have details of the offer from last October please?

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 52,992
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Surely you had details confirmed by the supplier in writing/email once you signed up?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • New2Forum
    New2Forum Posts: 42 Forumite
    macman wrote: »
    Surely you had details confirmed by the supplier in writing/email once you signed up?

To my shame, if they did, I no longer have a copy :(

New2Forum wrote: »
    Does anyone here still have details of the offer from last October please?

Anyone? Please.
  • ioscorpio
    ioscorpio Posts: 2,360
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think that the 12 months deal for £2.50 is only for w/e calls, if you upgraded to Anytime Calls, the discount was only for 6 months, as their current offer is. https://broadband.ee.co.uk/home.do
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The deal was....
    Until Mon 13 Oct go via this special EE deal* link, enter the code 'HBB120' and then your contact details. After that you can sign up for a 1yr contract that includes...

- Compulsory line rent: You pay £132 for the year upfront (you must opt for this at sign-up); equiv to £11/mth. If you've not got the cash you can pay £15.75 monthly.
    - Call costs: Weekend calls to landlines included, others mostly on a par with BT, and they'll be slightly cheaper after BT hikes prices on 1 Dec (unless EE follows & raises too).
    - Unlimited broadband: You pay £2.50/mth, so £30 for 1yr (avail to 95% of UK). The price'll rise after contract ends.
    - 'Free' router. The kit that provides you with wifi. Yet you have to pay a one-off £6 to cover p&p.
    - You're sent a £120 Amazon voucher after 3mths. It's automatic as long as you follow the instructions here: go via this EE deal* link and enter code HBB120 (the same code also gets the voucher on costlier superfast deals).

Analysis: Paying line rent upfront, broadband monthly + router p&p (excl calls), the year's cost's £168, equiv to £14/mth (pay line rent monthly it's £225 or equiv £18.75/mth), plus the £120 Amazon voucher. If you'd spend that at Amazon anyway, factor it in and it's effectively £48 over the year, equiv to just £4/mth (paid monthly, £105 or equiv £8.75/mth).
    It's not just about the money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport