France for a month - how to spend wisely?

Hi all,

I'm having a working holiday in (the South of) France in August.

(The trip is definitely classed as a business expense if that makes any difference to the advice you may offer.)

I have a First Direct personal current ac, First Direct personal credit card, HSBC Business ac debit card, and an MBNA Amex that I haven't used for a long time. I have no idea of the relative benefits of any of these re longer stays abroad.

I saw the Halifax Clarity card in a recent MSE email, which if I can get it might be an option?

We will not be driving, so expenses will be mainly food, and some public transport travel, and some cash withdrawals no doubt.

I'm looking for input on the 'smart' way to spend while there, so all advice will be appreciated.

Thankyou.

Comments

• parcival
    parcival Posts: 949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    In rural southern France they are big on lunches rather than evening meals.

It is very easy to find small Auberges where you can get a 3 course lunch for about 12 euro's - often with wine thrown in...
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I'd say:
    • Business spending - just use the business account debit card. Yes it will cost the business a little more than if you used a Halifax Clarity then claimed the money from the business, but is that really a problem?
    • Personal spending that you will claim back - again, just use whatever's most convenient. The is the one case where I WOULD recommend accepting the option to have your card charged in GBP if you are offered it, as it may make the reclaiming process simpler.
    • Personal spending that you will not claim back - get a Halifax Clarity credit card (and pay off cash withdrawals as soon as they appear on the transaction list if possible) or a Metro Bank debit card.

If you really care about charging the business the lowest possible amount, put everything on the Halifax Clarity/Metro Bank card and claim it back.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • If you really care about charging the business the lowest possible amount, put everything on the Halifax Clarity/Metro Bank card and claim it back.

Yes, this would probably be my preference, as every penny counts!

Thanks
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,275 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Metro Bank is good, but don't forget that the N and P account also offers fee-free cash withdrawals and also comes with some travel insurance benefits that you might value.
  • Metro Bank is good, but don't forget that the N and P account also offers fee-free cash withdrawals and also comes with some travel insurance benefits that you might value.

Is the Metro deal a credit card, in the same way as the Halifax one?
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    Is the Metro deal a credit card, in the same way as the Halifax one?

I was referring to the Metro Bank debit card, which is free to use in Europe (but not worldwide like the Halifax Clarity). Means you can just dump your money in the account and spend it, rather than having to keep paying off the card. I believe Metro Bank also does a credit card that's free in Europe, but if you're getting a credit card you might as well go for the Clarity.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,988 Forumite
    We go to france every year for several months. Always use the Halifax Clarity card, purchases repaid in full when due, Cash withdrawals repaid from our UK bank next day, that way we avoid charges and interest is kept to a few pence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure