interference on phone

rexel
rexel Posts: 595
First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
This past week I am getting interference and cracking on phone what is causing this

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Multiple possibles ,check cables and filters first .Then contact your line provider .
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,320
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If it's your landline you are talking about - it could be the physical phone-line to the property. First thing is to plug a different handset (telephone) into your master socket, if it's the same interference then it could be the line, or the socket itself.

Happened to me a couple of years ago, just checked everything was plugged in properly, tried 3 different handsets, all the same issue, reported it to my phone provider, who got BT openreach to come out. They had to replace the line from the telegraph pole to my property. The warning they gave me was, if the fault was in my property they would charge me, if it was outside they would pay - hence all the checks first.

Unless you've been messing with the master socket, and you have the same issue with multiple handsets, then it probably is the physical line. Don't check on any extension, only the master socket. If your property doesn't have the master socket coming into it from the phone line, then you'd have to check further - have a look at where the line to your property comes from - telegraph pole to house, then into house through wall, to master socket - there may be obvious signs of deterioration.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 52,992
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Dial 17070, option 2, quiet line test.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income