Anti Marketing Debit from Bank Account

We have just noticed a reoccuring debit going from my Grandma's bank account for £29.99 for a company
ANTI-MARKETING CD 3048

This has been happening since 2011. The account was changed last year to 'cash only' and the debit card cancelled - so how has this company been able to make this transaction?

I've read some old threads about this company from 2011/2012.

How can I stop this payment - Lloyds Bank are useless! Keep saying it's a 'subscription'. But the card has been cancelled!

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Is this a phone service she has subscribed to ??
    Reads like a paid for service to cut down marketing calls from the little info posted .
  • woody2234
    woody2234 Posts: 414
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 25 April 2015 at 6:41PM
    Grandma can go to a different high street bank next week and open new account then go to Lloyds and say cancel this direct debit or I will close my bank account but move all the other things to new bank account before closing Lloyds , you could try Nationwide they seem good also they give you a free debit card without you having to put a certain amount of money or wages in each month like some banks insist on
    Let them eat cake (Marie Antoinette 1765)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,642
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 25 April 2015 at 7:33PM
    If it was set up as a CPA then they can continue taking payments even if the card has been stopped. Contact the bank (write and keep a copy !) and TELL them to cancel the payment authority. http://www.fca.org.uk/news/continuous-payment-authorities-your-right-to-cancel
    Any related payments taken after you ask for a continuous payment authority to be stopped are considered to be unauthorised transactions. Card issuers must refund these payments and any related charges immediately.
    If payments continue, contact your card issuer to arrange a refund. If it fails to do so, you should make a complaint to the card issuer and, then, if you are not satisfied with its response, take the complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Google PLT anti marketing :eek: The government have been trying to shut them down since 2013 but they keep fighting in court, apparently 6 court hearings so far.
  • SamKumra_2
    SamKumra_2 Posts: 18
    First Post
    Forumite
    woody2234 wrote: »
    Grandma can go to a different high street bank next week and open new account then go to Lloyds and say cancel this direct debit or I will close my bank account but move all the other things to new bank account before closing Lloyds , you could try Nationwide they seem good also they give you a free debit card without you having to put a certain amount of money or wages in each month like some banks insist on

Thanks, we've tried this, she is very set in her ways and does not want to change her bank, even though we have all said that it is the best thing to do. Plus she is currently in hospital.
  • SamKumra_2
    First Post
    Forumite
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Is this a phone service she has subscribed to ??
    Reads like a paid for service to cut down marketing calls from the little info posted .

I've gathered that much from it too. Although we cannot get hold of the company to stop it. Plus what ever this company claim to do, they clearly are not doing it as she still gets loads of unwanted calls and mail! I'd like the money back for the whol 5 years, but I know that won't happen.
  • SamKumra_2
    First Post
    Forumite
    molerat wrote: »
    If it was set up as a CPA then they can continue taking payments even if the card has been stopped. Contact the bank (write and keep a copy !) and TELL them to cancel the payment authority. http://www.fca.org.uk/news/continuous-payment-authorities-your-right-to-cancel

Google PLT anti marketing :eek: The government have been trying to shut them down since 2013 but they keep fighting in court, apparently 6 court hearings so far.

Thank you - this is exactly what we needed as the bank have said there is no way to stop the payment without contacting the company. :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure