Is 4G enough data for my nephew

Options
My nephew has moved into a flat with no wifi. He thinks getting a 12 month sim only unlimited everything contract with Three for £27 a month would be a good idea. My query is - would this cover his usage use Facebook, Internet, etc. also what does Three charge if you exceed the 4G limit? Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    4G is a speed, not a quantity.
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • paulsad
    paulsad Posts: 1,315 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    4G limit or 4G coverage?? Thought you said unlimited everything?
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    4G is a speed, not a quantity.

Indirectly correct. It's a technology, of which one of the by-products is the capability for faster mobile data speeds.

If OP is actually meaning 4GB data (and I'm not aware of a mobile plan providing that amount - usually it is 1GB, 2GB, 3GB, 5GB etc.) then whether it's enough will depend on how much video streaming he will do (e.g. Youtube, Netflix, Iplayer, etc.)

But what's stopping him getting landline-based internet and having his own wifi?
  • cookie365
    cookie365 Posts: 1,809 Forumite
    Options
    Isn't the tethering limit on Three's unlimited sim only plans 4 Gigabytes?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does the flat have an internet connection ? If so he just needs to buy a wireless router.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cookie365 wrote: »
    Isn't the tethering limit on Three's unlimited sim only plans 4 Gigabytes?

It is, likely that's what the OP is meaning as its for home use.

@OP it's a difficult question to answer, a person who only browses websites won't use anywhere near the data amount of someone who watches videos on YouTube or iplayer (for example).
    ====
  • Middle_Sister
    Options
    Yes I mean 4 GB. He only plans to be there 6 months so I don't think he wants anything to tie him down. He wants to be able to access the Internet on the go.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes I mean 4 GB. He only plans to be there 6 months so I don't think he wants anything to tie him down. He wants to be able to access the Internet on the go.

If he only intends to use it for 6 months he probably shouldn't be signing up to a 12 month plan.

Three do have other plans that have a 30 day minimum term, the 4GB is for tethering, does he need to tether or will he be using it on the handset?
    ====
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Although it only allow 4GB tethering, but no one stop you watch video on the phone?
    Or getting something like Miracast to mirror phone scheme to TV + getting bluetooth keyboard for phone.
  • reehsetin
    reehsetin Posts: 4,916 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    If he only intends to use it for 6 months he probably shouldn't be signing up to a 12 month plan.
    Agree!

Have you looked at giffgaff as a possibility? Depends how many minutes he needs but it's prepay so much more flexible, 5GB is £18 on 4G or £15 on 3G (bundles called goodie bags)
    plus 500mins, unlimited text and giffgaff to giffgaff calls
    no chance of him ever going over the bill and even if he does manage to use it up, he can just buy the next goodbag early, don't have to wait until the end of the month
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport