Hotel Haggling for a big group/Event

2»

Comments

• Are you sure that 50 people will want to attend. Most will be distant relatives with family on the other side as well. I wouldn't book anything without getting full payment from them.

I think a christmas day party is a bit selfish- especially for children. They dont want to be at a boring meal with 50 people- they want to be at home with their presents.

This I fear will be your biggest problem.

Unless it was for a very close / favorite relative I think I would be declining the invite.

Whilst not a fan of american imports, why not have a 'half' birthday celebtation?
  • I have had 44 confirmations so far, so getting people together for the day isn't an issue. Thankfully the family are very much into having big family get-togethers so they were all very happy to do it.....But saying that I haven't asked anyone for money yet!

Its one Christmas out of hundreds, and you have to eat...even the kids so don't see why everyone meeting at one place to have a big meal would be any more boring then having Christmas dinner at home. There will be plenty of children so they can all be hyper excited together.....but anyway now I some tips to get the cost down as thinking that could end up being the issue, especially as places are charging £40 odd for a Childs dinner! I don't even eat £40 worth of food in one go, let alone a child!!!
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Have you given these 44 people an indication of just how much it's likely to cost?

I don't care which aunty/granny/mother it is, I wouldn't be paying £200-300+ for my family to attend Christmas lunch.

Just make sure you get their money up front otherwise this could turn out to be a very, very expensive birthday treat that you'll end up footing the bill for.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Don't worry I have read enough threads on here to know about deposits and people not paying what they owe.

I've not mentioned prices yet as I am still shopping around, a lot of places haven't organised their Christmas prices yet so waiting for some to come back and confirm.

But if you decided to have Christmas dinner out, what would you expect to be charged?
    Christmas appears to be like weddings....just add a few extra digits cos they can!
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    But if you decided to have Christmas dinner out, what would you expect to be charged?
    Christmas appears to be like weddings....just add a few extra digits cos they can!

I wouldn't want to pay more than £30 a head for adults, £15 for children. Whether or not christmas dinner exists at that price, I don't know :rotfl:

I think you're right, they seem to take the normal Sunday roast price and treble it, just because they can!
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • foxtrotoscar_2
    foxtrotoscar_2 Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    I wouldn't want to pay more than £30 a head for adults, £15 for children. Whether or not christmas dinner exists at that price, I don't know :rotfl:

I think you're right, they seem to take the normal Sunday roast price and treble it, just because they can!

How much do you think the staff should be paid for giving up their Christmas?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure