New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms


Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Soil Association press release

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Discussion Time
23 replies 225 views
EdwardiaEdwardia Forumite
9.2K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Discussion Time
Sales of organic products up by 4%, now back to 2009 levels. Organic food market worth over £1 billion !

http://www.soilassociation.org/trade/news/newsandevents/articleid/7805/organic-market-shows-improved-growth-amidst-tumbling-food-prices
«13

Replies

  • EdwardiaEdwardia Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Another study shows organic is better - last one was up to 60% more antioxidants this one shows fewer pesticides

    http://civileats.com/2015/02/05/new-science-confirms-if-you-eat-organic-youll-be-exposed-to-fewer-pesticides/
  • edited 12 March 2015 at 9:46PM
    snowcat75snowcat75 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 March 2015 at 9:46PM
    Edwardia wrote: »
    Sales of organic products up by 4%, now back to 2009 levels. Organic food market worth over £1 billion !

    http://www.soilassociation.org/trade/news/newsandevents/articleid/7805/organic-market-shows-improved-growth-amidst-tumbling-food-prices






    Or in real terms about 1% of the UK food market, interesting the SA picked 2009 as a level as defra shows that organic food peeked around 2007.
    Edwardia wrote: »
    Another study shows organic is better - last one was up to 60% more antioxidants this one shows fewer pesticides

    http://civileats.com/2015/02/05/new-science-confirms-if-you-eat-organic-youll-be-exposed-to-fewer-pesticides/



    A report from the US about OP traces, in the UK virtually all OPs have been banned the last direct product I used was demotholate which went a good five years ago, there are still OPs approved for use on the fabric of buildings to prevent grain store pest post harvest, but I suspect that as the green lobby prefers science fiction to fact there days are numbered and we will just be left with less effective pyrothiods.


    Im surprised there's not a report on ne-nics for good measure also banned in Europe for no good reason.

    The UK is not part of the US, so using parallels at best, just plain misleading.
  • edited 12 March 2015 at 10:23PM
    EdwardiaEdwardia Forumite
    9.2K posts
    edited 12 March 2015 at 10:23PM
    The EU signed a deal so that anything labelled USDA Organic can be sold in EU.

    TTIP currently in (secret) negotiation is bound to impact on EU food standards. The US wants to export all their cruddy unlabelled food. Although consumers in EU don't want GM, don't want 'clean label' hidden nasties, unlabelled added water etc, standards may well be altered to allow US exports.

    Thousands of additives and pesticide residues banned by the EU could end up in food. The demand for and therefore price of organic food could go up.

    Recently I saw the ingredient 'organic dextrose' so how long until we get 'organic high fructose corn syrup' ?

    People can have non-organic conventional food if they want. I want my food to be as natural as possible. I can name the farms from which the majority of my food comes.

    It's all very well to have safe limits for individual chemicals, but in an actual person they're a cocktail. When I was eating conventional food a liver function test came back abnormal. I was worried because I have diabetes and don't drink other than champagne at Christmas. My GP scheduled another test for two weeks time.

    The next day was the infamous Tesco pork loin chops incident when they were sold with a label inside the packaging saying the chops contained 11% added water and an unspecified amount of glucose syrup. They weren't in a sauce, they didn't have a topping. Plain chops.

    We went organic straightaway. Two weeks later I had the test it came back normal. My next cholesterol test came back as excellent.

    Despite having diabetes my tests come back normal/better than normal. I'm convinced eating as naturally and organically as possible, without processed ready meals etc makes a big difference for me.

    The other problem I had was retinopathy. I was told that I needed laser treatment. I asked for some time to process. My next appointment showed some healing. my consultant attributed that to me taking great care over food and told me to keep doing it. Next appointment came six months later and the retinopathy has almost disappeared so I don't need laser treatment. My NHS consultant is the one saying that giving my body really good food helps it heal.

    So that's why I don't eat rubbish.
  • snowcat75snowcat75 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Edwardia wrote: »
    The EU signed a deal so that anything labelled USDA Organic can be sold in EU.

    TTIP currently in (secret) negotiation is bound to impact on EU food standards. The US wants to export all their cruddy unlabelled food. Although consumers in EU don't want GM, don't want 'clean label' hidden nasties, unlabelled added water etc, standards may well be altered to allow US exports.


    Thousands of additives and pesticide residues banned by the EU could end up in food. The demand for and therefore price of organic food could go up.


    .


    Could should or will? there's little conclusive evidence and what the US does or is doing is of little concern to me, The EU has also banned many chemicals for a factor of reasons that are due to everything from label costs to, licencing to theoretical links, just because the EU or UK has banned something there is often little evidence that justify the reasons.


    Organic food should be expensive its niche only and is extremely costly to produce compared to a conventional system, If you want it get used to paying more.
    Edwardia wrote: »

    People can have non-organic conventional food if they want. I want my food to be as natural as possible. I can name the farms from which the majority of my food comes.
    .


    Were you not promoting NZ lamb a couple of posts back??


    Farm assured (UK based) standards are far higher with greater traceability than anything in the Organic sector, It is possible in practice to buy a bag of flour, and find which fields that wheat was grown on, even the operator/machine, and the weather conditions on the day of planting, down to when the machines were last serviced and calibrated.

    Edwardia wrote: »


    It's all very well to have safe limits for individual chemicals, but in an actual person they're a cocktail. When I was eating conventional food a liver function test came back abnormal. I was worried because I have diabetes and don't drink other than champagne at Christmas. My GP scheduled another test for two weeks time.

    The next day was the infamous Tesco pork loin chops incident when they were sold with a label inside the packaging saying the chops contained 11% added water and an unspecified amount of glucose syrup. They weren't in a sauce, they didn't have a topping. Plain chops.

    We went organic straightaway. Two weeks later I had the test it came back normal. My next cholesterol test came back as excellent.

    Despite having diabetes my tests come back normal/better than normal. I'm convinced eating as naturally and organically as possible, without processed ready meals etc makes a big difference for me.

    The other problem I had was retinopathy. I was told that I needed laser treatment. I asked for some time to process. My next appointment showed some healing. my consultant attributed that to me taking great care over food and told me to keep doing it. Next appointment came six months later and the retinopathy has almost disappeared so I don't need laser treatment. My NHS consultant is the one saying that giving my body really good food helps it heal.

    So that's why I don't eat rubbish.


    Errmm and that is tells me what?, My exposure to chemicals (not to mention the cocktail of heavy metals, oils, and 2K paints that are used in the engineering/welding shop) are the equivalent per annum to the exposure of an average persons lifetime.


    I haven't needed to go to a GP in my life, I do every five years for a check-up in which Im in and out the door in a couple of minutes.


    It could be down to genetics living an active life, or just being too busy to be ill, whatever it concludes as little as your statement does.


    If you wish to eat Organic good for you, and I have nothing against those farms which wish to produce, If they can market and sell there products at the right price then good luck.


    However don't rubbish the conventional sector, It produces decent food at very low costs, Organic cold never replace conventional as the world would stave, no ifs no buts, it would.


    The Soil Association are also masters of spin, after all no organic, no jobs for them, Organic also has some dubious practices, and words like "mostly" are too often banded about, ie a diet of "mostly" organic feed, mostly could mean anything, It also has detrimental environmental effects, destruction of nesting birds, higher diesel usage and poorer land use to name a few.


    Conventional isn't without it sins, but those who chose to feed themselves and there children, on diets based around conventional should never feel assumed, or think its a second class product.



    Id invite anyone, even you to come and see how a modern farm operates, just so you could see the attention to detail, and the huge amount of work that goes into producing a crop,


    Hell I could even take you to see a small scale lamb producer (organic at that) that way you wouldn't need to import it from a 1000 miles away.
  • smallblueplanetsmallblueplanet Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    snowcat75 wrote: »
    However don't rubbish the conventional sector, It produces decent food at very low costs, Organic could never replace conventional as the world would starve, no ifs no buts, it would...


    :rotfl:


    It's not just about YOUR anectdotal evidence (or Edwardia's for that), but to make ridiculous unfounded statements like that...


    Anyway if you're happy with your low-cost horsemeat burgers and other such delicious goodies, fine - but give the rest of the world's 'poor' people a choice - perhaps they don't want to eat cheap crap! :p
  • snowcat75snowcat75 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    :rotfl:


    It's not just about YOUR anectdotal evidence (or Edwardia's for that), but to make ridiculous unfounded statements like that...


    Anyway if you're happy with your low-cost horsemeat burgers and other such delicious goodies, fine - but give the rest of the world's 'poor' people a choice - perhaps they don't want to eat cheap crap! :p



    ACCS is not unfounded or anecdotal evidence, Its a system that is implemented with the blue tractor flag to ensure conformity, Horse meet was to do with supermarkets sourcing cheep meet and not really bothering to care where it comes from, not about UK farm gate.


    The statement about Organic not being able to produce the quantys needed to feed the world, nor that Conventional standards exceed that of Organic are 100% fact and not anecdotal.


    I have no problem with you rubbishing my views as Iv only had around 25 years in the industry, with 5 year of formal training and working not only in the UK, but NZ, Australia and America, that of course means nothing, as anyone can be brave and pretend from a computer screen,


    If you REALLY want to get an insight into modern food production, then why not come to our schools farm Roadshow in May/june, you will be able to ask any question you wish to any sector of the industry.


    Iv invited 5 MSE members now who seem to know my industry inside out from the keyboard, not one seems to really want to be shown first hand, I guess google has replaced experience.
  • j.e.j.j.e.j. Forumite
    9.7K posts
    This is worth a read:

    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/feb/21/a-feast-of-engineering-whats-really-in-your-food

    It's about the additives that get put into our food that they don't have to tell us about (or not directly). It's called clean-labelling.
  • IronWolfIronWolf Forumite
    6.4K posts
    What are sales of non-organic food like compared to 2009? Given we have over a million extra people living in the country, I'd expect all food to be increasing sales.
    Faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.
  • onlyrozonlyroz Forumite
    17.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyway if you're happy with your low-cost horsemeat burgers and other such delicious goodies, fine - but give the rest of the world's 'poor' people a choice - perhaps they don't want to eat cheap crap! :p
    You say this like it's a clean-cut choice between organic or "cheap crap". Organic is and always will be a niche market aimed at people who can afford to indulge their whims. It is never going to be a solution to the world's hunger problems.
  • antrobusantrobus Forumite
    17.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....Anyway if you're happy with your low-cost horsemeat burgers and other such delicious goodies, ....

    What's wrong with horsemeat burgers? Particularly when they're organic horsemeat burgers.:)
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support