fathers sipp

Options
dandoc777
dandoc777 Posts: 7 Forumite
edited 8 March 2015 at 10:34PM in Benefits & tax credits
hello all.

my father has recently passed away and has left a sum of around £19000 in a sipp.

when he was alive he was claiming jsa.
im not sure if it was income or contribution based.

I have recently received a letter from the dwp which states they will be looking into any overpayments made to him which will be deducted from my fathers estate.

The question im asking is would he of had to declare his sipp when he was claiming jsa and if he never will I be responsible for any money he owes to them?

As far as im aware he was not receiving any income from his sipp he was just transferring money between two sipps.

i have recently found out he also transferred £50.000 from one pension into a carbon credits scheme which turned out to be a massive scam so he had lost most of his life savings.

If anyone out there could point me in the right direction in regards to what happens next i would be grateful.

Thankyou

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Money in a SIPP wouldn't be seen as capital. Depending on his age it might be seen as potential income availble to him, but it would tiny with just £1900, maybe £2pw.
  • dandoc777
    Options
    hi there

thank you for your response.

I made a typing error in my original post.
    the sum in his sip was £19000 shared between 2 sipps in 2 separate companies.

also he was 54 years old so he still had a bit of a wait before he could cash them in.

thanks again for your information
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    dandoc777 wrote: »
    hi there

thank you for your response.

I made a typing error in my original post.
    the sum in his sip was £19000 shared between 2 sipps in 2 separate companies.

also he was 54 years old so he still had a bit of a wait before he could cash them in.

thanks again for your information
    In which case it won't count at all, it wasn't available to him as he was too young. He didn't need to declare it to the DWP.
  • dandoc777
    Options
    thank you very much for your advice and time zagfles.

very much appreciated
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport