New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

The Kitchen Fund

edited 3 December 2016 at 8:16PM in How much have you saved?
2.6K replies 291.6K views
savingwannabesavingwannabe
14.5K posts
Forumite
Ninth Anniversary 10000 Posts 500 Posts on the Forum 1000 Posts on the Forum
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 3 December 2016 at 8:16PM in How much have you saved?
I am going to copy over all my posts about my new kitchen or lack of it!!!!

I am changing my thread name back to a more saving focussed one so I don't get distracted.:j

Addendum: I have changed the name again as I am planning to chill out now I have savings and am going to continue to save for happy times. lol.
Trying to be frugal 17/31Jan; 9/29 Feb NSDs.
Saving all £2 in money boxes.

Replies

• edited 18 February 2015 at 6:54PM
    14.5K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 February 2015 at 6:54PM
    Hello is this a good time to join? My name is savingwannabe I used to be on here a long time ago when I was saving for a new extension. Now I think I will save for a new kitchen. So far I have one hundred pounds in my Christmas fund (I would like £500 for Christmas presents and Christmas food and also birthday presents) anything left over will be my kitchen fund.

I am on half term hols and have just renewed my passport (well I posted it off) and when it comes back I am going to change my bank for one that pays a reward!. Dead excited.

We are waiting to hear about redundancies at work so am keeping fingers crossed. Having said that we shouldn't hear till May June hopefully.

I work part time (as am ill) and earn £1638.

Mortgage £750
    Bills £350
    Christmas and kitchen fund £50 (am hoping to increase this) Currently I have 100 saved up for presents.
    Credit Card £120-200 depends how naughty I've been
    Food £120
    Cash I tend to keep £100 for spending but do spend anything left over ( I tend to waste a fair bit but some goes on taxis as I can be immobile depending on my health).

I am going to stop spending money on fleabay, give up Diet Co$e at work, walk whenever possible and avoid eating out and spending on my credit card. Eventually maybe in a few years I will have saved for a lovely kitchen. I have a serviceable kitchen for now but it would be amazing to have a glossy white one like in the magazines. Good things come to those who wait and all that. lol.

I have posted 3 things on fleabay and hope someone buys them as a start to my fund. Gosh the name of this thread is boring. I might change it.
  • AesopAesop
    23.7K posts
    Forumite
    10000 Posts 7 year anniversary Disabled 10000 Posts on the Forum 500 Posts on the Forum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello :hello: Savingwannabe :D

long time no speak.

yay to saving for a new kitchen. you remember mse had lots of great tips on how to save money while still having a great time ;) so your idea of stop spending on ebay is good.

you need to do some survey sites to make extra cash!
    Make upto £10 a day - September 2019 £0.00

Make upto £10 a day - best thread ever. :A
  • savingwannabesavingwannabe
    14.5K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bless you petal. I will but I tend to do things like buying whoopsies and time consuming things in the summer hols. I will try.

I am kind of drowning in marking at work at the moment. I have a whole pile waiting to be done in the next few days so I shouldn't be on here. I am v naughty.

I hope you are well and v rich.

I had better go and do some work or Steve and Andy will shoot me. They keep ringing to check I have made progress with my marking pile.
  • 3Dogs3Dogs
    14.1K posts
    Forumite
    9 year anniversary Disabled 8 year anniversary Disabled 7 year anniversary Disabled 1 year anniversary Disabled
    YAY hello petal and well done on your thread :j :j,

A new kitchen would be amazing, good luck with saving to get the funds to do this. You know I will help you any way I can :A
    :( Mr 3Dogs 3-7-12 :( 3Dogs'Mam 31-3-13 :(
  • 3Dogs3Dogs
    14.1K posts
    Forumite
    9 year anniversary Disabled 8 year anniversary Disabled 7 year anniversary Disabled 1 year anniversary Disabled
    P.S. have you done your marking yet ......................
  • Hello savingwannabe! Good luck with your target and can't wait to see the results xx
    Emergency savings: 4600
    0% Credit card: 1965.00
  • edited 22 February 2015 at 3:47PM
    14.5K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 February 2015 at 3:47PM
    Thank you Brallaqueen, 3Dogs and Aesop so far I haven't sold anything on ebay. I have 3 days left and one watcher. Still I haven't spent any money which is good and payday in 8 days.

I keep looking at fleabay waiting for someone to buy my things and no one is yet! I am so impatient. Today I had to pay for transport to go to work but walked back. This has been a very low spend week for me.

I have been so tempted to buy really nice things on fleabay that are selling for bargain prices but I must say NOOOOOO.

I read some free pdf's on moneysaving that were not so good. But I keep looking in case I have missed any new ones. Has anyone ever read 'The Millionaire Next Door'? It is amazing.

My auction ends tomorrow and so far I only have one watcher. On a positive front, I have decluttered 2 sacks of spare clothes for 3Dogs charity (it took about 5 mins) and prepared work for tomorrow.
  • 3Dogs3Dogs
    14.1K posts
    Forumite
    Thanks for sorting out the bags of clothes for our local dog rescue charity shop SW :happylove
  • savingwannabesavingwannabe
    14.5K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bless ya, despite watchers no one bidded on my fleabay items. I have lowered some prices and hope that they will succumb next week.
    I managed to walk to work today which was v moneysaving of me so all is not lost.

Payday on Friday. Hurrah.
  • edited 26 February 2015 at 5:59PM
    14.5K posts
    Forumite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2015 at 5:59PM
    Executive decision made I am going to save £25 a month towards a kitchen and emergency fund.

If I get into problems I will withdraw cash from it. I may as well jump in with both feet as everyone else on this part of MSE has the same problems and seems to be giving it a go!

Fab news, passport came today - only took a week for a renewal. I am going to start researching good current bank accounts as I want a bonus that I can put into my kitchen fund!!!!

Has anyone ever heard of a blogger called Frugal Queen? She is an inspiration to me. I love Dave Ramsay too but I think Frugal Queen has been the most helpful to me.