Mental health mobility pass

I'm on higher rate ESA and am in the support group and recently been awarded the daily living component of PIP at the standard rate. I was also sent a letter stating that I may be entitled to severe disability premium, I filled the form and sent it back but am not eligible because I still live with my mum who's on lower rate dla and works.

Anyway I picked up a mental health mobility pass form at a hospital where I stayed for two weeks and have had it stamped and signed by my gp today. I'm unfit to drive. But I'm worried they may refuse it because I don't get enhanced rate daily living component of PIP. I get the standard rate of £54.45 a week on top of my ESA.

Do you think I should still be eligible for one? After all my GP has signed and stamped it.

Has any one else been through this procedure?


  • ChrisJJ
    ChrisJJ Posts: 243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi Sade808,

    When you say mental health mobility pass, do you mean a concessionary bus pass?

    I got my pass when I was on ESA before I was awarded PIP. I applied to the local transport authority and after providing proof from my GP they awarded me the pass.

    As far as I recall, the criteria was whether you would be refused a driving licence or not, not what benefits you were on.

    Hope you manage to get it sorted!
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I'm in ESA support group and have been refused PIP once, am waiting for the result of my second claim. I got my concessionary pass a month ago and they didn't ask about my benefits- my GP just signed a form explaining why I was unfit to drive and that was it.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • help4help2013
    you can get a concessionary travel pass if you qualify for one if you have a CPN or your involved with the community mental health team they can fill in the form for you or even GP can do it

    it has a part to fill in if you would be refused a driving licence based on your mental health and medications they are usually very simple to fill out i know a lot of people who have them for mental health issues and they only get ESA

    not to sure where your based but i have friends in Manchester who have them they have the C+ concessionary travel pass which gives them free travel anytime any day on trains buses and trams they can be good thing to have so ive heard if you qualify for one

    if your under the community mental health team and have either a CPN (clinical psychiatric nurse ? or support worker ask them about it im sure they would fill the form in for you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards