How to sell an unused upgrade mobile phone safely...

Options
Hi all

I recently took out a new 2 year contract and with it came a new mobile phone. I'm happy with my existing phone and so plan to sell the new unopened and unused phone.

Is there anything I need to be aware of? Should I remove the SIM that came with the phone? Will the phone in anyway be linked to me or my contract? Anything else I need to be aware of?

Many thanks for any help offered, and please let me know if more info is needed before these questions can be answered.

Max

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Seagull27 wrote: »
    Is there anything I need to be aware of? Should I remove the SIM that came with the phone?
    Surely - unless you want the buyer to use all mobile services at your expense.
    Find out with the network how to keep the old sim active and destroy the new one.
    Will the phone in anyway be linked to me or my contract? Anything else I need to be aware of?
    Some networks (EE) say in the T&C that they own the phone during the fists 6 months.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You''ll generally get a better price if you unlock the phone. And always log and take a photo of the IMEI no. in case the buyer tries to switch the handset on you after claiming a fault.
    I'd open it to check for damage and that it powers up, you cannot otherwise advertise it as a working phone.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    I NEVER open them; otherwise I can't sell it as new. Never had a problem yet and the phone will have a guarantee.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I see no problem with advertising the phone as 'opened to test that it powers up'. No need to insert the SIM.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport