Barclaycard dispatched - definitely accepted?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
8 replies 1.4K views
Bmth100Bmth100 Forumite
1K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
I have typically gotten bad credit limits on cards before, as despite a perfect payment history, I've not yet come out of my student overdraft since graduation - it's hitting my credit rating a fair bit.

I needed a 0% card to balance transfer the remaining credit I had. Took a shot at Barclays, to my surprise, I got it.

I got an email Wednesday, stating I had been accepted for a limit of £3,500, which is absolutely perfect (see signature!). Called to confirm, they said the same thing and said card was generated on Tuesday.

Only concern is that I've heard of Barclaycard writing at the very last minute to decline you. Is it safe to say I've definitely got the card?

Replies

• SnowTigerSnowTiger Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bmth100 wrote: »
    Only concern is that I've heard of Barclaycard writing at the very last minute to decline you. Is it safe to say I've definitely got the card?

Probably not. As you say, Barclaycard have a history of closing accounts.

Have you done the balance transfer yet? If not, do it as soon as you can.

Then, even if Barclaycard close the account, you'll still have the 0% deal in place.
  • SnowTiger wrote: »
    Probably not. As you say, Barclaycard have a history of closing accounts.

Have you done the balance transfer yet? If not, do it as soon as you can.

Then, even if Barclaycard close the account, you'll still have the 0% deal in place.

Haven't actually received it yet :(

Hopefully I can keep it. Why do they just close accounts? Is that common right after being accepted?
  • guesswho2000guesswho2000 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't actually received it yet :(

Hopefully I can keep it. Why do they just close accounts? Is that common right after being accepted?

Not normally, but with Barclaycard they've had a habit of doing it in recent years. NatWest have a similar thing with their AVU unit closing accounts after acceptance.

That said, I've never fallen foul of either practice, and have had multiple cards with each of those organisations!
  • SnowTigerSnowTiger Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not normally, but with Barclaycard they've had a habit of doing it in recent years. NatWest have a similar thing with their AVU unit closing accounts after acceptance.

That said, I've never fallen foul of either practice, and have had multiple cards with each of those organisations!

Fortunately it seems to be quite rare, but a few poster here have mentioned having their account closed after receiving the card.

Dunno why this seems to affect Barclaycard more than other card issuers.
  • Received and transferred :)
  • solentsusiesolentsusie Forumite
    564 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Received and transferred :)

Always good to hear of a positive outcome. :T
  • Enterprise_1701CEnterprise_1701C Forumite
    23.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now remember not to spend on it!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • Haha thanks guys. Most certainly won't be spending on it :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals