in Techie Stuff
37 replies 2.5K views
124»

Replies

• MarmiterMarmiter Forumite
    370 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    Does anyone do any online surveys on their Chromebook? (i.e. Ipsos, Pinecone, MySurvey)
    Are there any issues with software compatibility?
  • cookie365cookie365 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Just thought I'd add - there is one gripe I've got.

If you have non-gmail IMAP email, then currently as far as I know Cloudmagic is your only option for an integrated client.
  • steviebabessteviebabes Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Marmiter wrote: »
    Does anyone do any online surveys on their Chromebook? (i.e. Ipsos, Pinecone, MySurvey)
    Are there any issues with software compatibility?

Not into surveys but I would think they are just done on normal websites so you wouldn't need to download any software.
    UA spoofer is a useful app, it fools websites as to the browser you have. Listing on ebay was a problem using the default chrome browser so I just change to IE/Firefox/Safari etc.
  • byjiminibyjimini Forumite
    282 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Chromebooks are great - providing you just want to browse the web.

I've come across all sorts of arguments against them; I never burn CD's, convert video, play games or Skype anyone, so for me they're perfect.

My Acer 13 cost £200 last month; it boots up in 4 seconds, is fanless and runs cool, and there's no slowdown in the browser like on my previous Chromebook, the HP11.

I don't get the fuss over Google docs; you tap out your document and either share the link or download it as a .doc or .pdf and email it. Why's that so difficult to convey?
  • If you wanted a windows ecoysytem alternative to the chromebook you may consider something like the HP stream which comes with a 32gb ssd 2gb ram. Not used one myself so couldn't say whether they are any good or not. Depends on what your requirements are.
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • ChrisJJChrisJJ Forumite
    183 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Just to update: I bought a Chromebook and it does the job. No major issues so far, it does what I want it to and starts up very quickly. It's so light, too!

Obviously there are some cons, but as I'm not TOO picky about these things they're not concerns. For example, the screen is a tad 'washed out' colour wise, and the touch pad didn't seem particularly responsive initially, though now I'm used to it it's not so bad.

Thanks again for all your responses.
  • byjiminibyjimini Forumite
    282 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Excellent, glad you enjoy. :)

They're obviously not for everyone and for the price, there's always going to be cutbacks, but they play to their strengths quite well.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News