Advice on buying Chromebook?

in Techie Stuff
37 replies 2.5K views

Replies

• ChrisJJChrisJJ Forumite
    183 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    geri1965 wrote: »
    I've had a Chromebook for about 18 months now and it's perfect for my needs.

Just a word of warning though, although you aren't supposed to be able to get viruses and malware on it, I somehow managed to some malware on it last week, so they are not immune.

Oh no!! Really sorry to hear that, and it'd be just luck to get something like that!! :D
  • ChrisJJChrisJJ Forumite
    183 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Just MY luck, I meant...
  • steviebabessteviebabes Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is the HP 11 inch model from last year. The nearest current model is here http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?sel=PCNB&id=J0B88EA&opt=ABU&p=c-chromebook
  • 1jim1jim Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    One issue I have just come across with my chromebook, it doesn't have an Ethernet port, I only found this out when I went to try and set up a new wireless modem that needed setting up online. Having to buy a USB to Ethernet connector now to try and complete the install. Other than that it's pretty good. Still need to try and workout printing though bought a compatible printer so should be ok when I get chance to set it up, currently just email it to myself and use the iPad to print
  • mrochestermrochester Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is the HP 11 inch model from last year. The nearest current model is here http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?sel=PCNB&id=J0B88EA&opt=ABU&p=c-chromebook

Yikes that's pretty underspecced for the price.
  • steviebabessteviebabes Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    A Chromebook is a not a replacement for a windows PC or laptop but it does what its designed for very well. I chose it in preference to a tablet as I prefer to type on a proper keyboard. I have adblock installed and this makes browsing very enjoyable, it even blocks the audio adverts in Spotify. I use my Chromebook 90% of the time and my laptop 10%.
  • mrochestermrochester Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    A Chromebook is a not a replacement for a windows PC or laptop but it does what its designed for very well. I chose it in preference to a tablet as I prefer to type on a proper keyboard. I have adblock installed and this makes browsing very enjoyable, it even blocks the audio adverts in Spotify. I use my Chromebook 90% of the time and my laptop 10%.

Love it. Anything that stops Google from profiting from adverts gets a big thumbs up from me. And on their own OS too! Very amusing.
  • cookie365cookie365 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I've got an Acer 720 (the non touchscreen version). It's brilliant.

When I'm out on the road and just need to pick up email, web surf, listen to podcasts, catch up on movies, access my cloud documents, write letters, work on spreadsheets and presentations, clip notes, play casual games, and manage my to do lists, it's just the job and weighs not much more than a tablet.

My laptop's languishing at home, unused and unloved.
  • i have a chromebook, an ipad and a laptop.

Use the chromebook 95 per cent of the time.

Boots up in a second , no windows updates and no viruses.

It is faster than my ipad and laptop and i love it.
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also have the Acer C720 and am very happy with it- I wanted something near to a tablet in weight/bulk for use on the move, but with a physical keyboard. My only minor gripe is that Google have still not upgraded Google Docs so that you can edit a spreadsheet offline, but this is probably not a major issue for most people.
    As long as you realise the limitations and don't expect it run Skype etc, it's a great OS.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Martin's debt costs masterclass

Eg, balance transfer up to 35 mths at 0%

MSE News

£80 GHD Original IV Styler

Via MSE Blagged code (norm £109)

MSE Deals