Advice on buying Chromebook?

in Techie Stuff
37 replies 2.5K views
ChrisJJChrisJJ Forumite
183 Posts
Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
I'm considering buying a Chromebook. Not sure yet though, and wondered if anyone on here who has experience of such a device can give me the benefit of their experience?

I'm technologically un-savvy, and don't do much with my (now poorly) pc other than surf the net and watch catch up TV.

Any advice gratefully received!

Thank you.

Replies

• mrochestermrochester Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    You'd probably be better off with a cheap Windows laptop. £150 gets you a Windows 8.1 laptop these days.
  • EssexExileEssexExile Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not tech savvy either but our little Samsung Chromebook is great. It's running windows 7 & is getting on a bit now but it's been no trouble.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • John_GrayJohn_Gray Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Best to say what you actually want to do, and someone will say if a Chromebook can do it!

My only experience is that printing to networked printers is a bit of a pig.
  • EssexExile wrote: »
    I'm not tech savvy either but our little Samsung Chromebook is great. It's running windows 7 & is getting on a bit now but it's been no trouble.

Surly a Chromebook runs Chrome OS?
  • Don't! (unless you plan to work for Google one day). It's a closed box, you can only run Chrome OS and you have to make do with that. Probably you could run some sort of Linux, but if you have come here to ask, it's probably not for you. (Sorry I don't want to sound arrogant).
  • EssexExileEssexExile Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    Surly a Chromebook runs Chrome OS?
    I told you I wasn't tech savvy! It says chromebook on the box so that's what I assumed it was, it's just a little laptop.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • steviebabessteviebabes Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I have a HP chromebook and its fine for browsing & all the catchup channels. Good battery life, brilliant screen and keyboard. Instant start up/shut down. Think they are about £150 now, I paid £179 6 months ago. I've installed a few Chrome apps such as UA spoofer for ebay and banking websites. It's just as quick as my win 8.1 machine with 8gb of ram.
  • topsalestopsales Forumite
    351 Posts
    If all you want is to surf and watch TV a Chromebook would be perfect. I have a Samsung which I have been using for the past couple of years and is perfect for a non techie. Can use Google docs if you want to do any documents, prints to my wireless printer - wouldn't use anything else now!
  • mrochestermrochester Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I think we're missing the point here that you can get a Windows 8.1 laptop for the same price as a Chromebook which'll be infinitely more familiar and useful for the OP.
  • steviebabessteviebabes Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    mrochester wrote: »
    I think we're missing the point here that you can get a Windows 8.1 laptop for the same price as a Chromebook which'll be infinitely more familiar and useful for the OP.

The OP just wants to use it for browsing & catchup TV so there isn't a familiarity issue. Chrome looks and feels just like Chrome on my windows laptop. I'm not sue you can get a new windows 8.1 laptop for a similar price. You would need to pay over £300 to get a similar performance to a Chromebook. There is also the freedom from malware/viruses to consider. It also runs cool and silent.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides