Contribution Based ESA?

Hi all
My wife's SSP is about to end. Because of my earnings, she won't get income based ESA.
For contribution based ESA, what contributions do you need to have made and over how long?
Wife has obviously been on SSP for 6 months, but before that, due to maternity leave mid 2010 and early 2012, with reduced hours inbetween abd since, her taxable earnings have only been £5k or so per year for the last few years. Does that means that potentially she won't be entitled to contribution based ESA?


  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,952 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    tax paid is irrelevant.
    did she pay NI in the tax years 12/13 and 13/14?
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    it will be tax years 2012-2013 and 2013-2014 they look at.

    you have to pay NI in each of the two previous complete tax years, have paid or been credited with, contributions to the value of 50 times the lower earnings limit.

    Lower earnings limit, primary Class 1
    £107 2012/2013

    £109 2013/2014

    So has she been earning enough to pay national insurance?


    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

    Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

    If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards