We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Aged Aunt returning to UK from Canada

Options
124»

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It will deoend on the Habitual Residence test and the Ordinary Residence test.
  • duffs54
    duffs54 Posts: 131 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    She has found out more from the links you gave me her pension, is payable here and it is also enhanced for some reason, she worked most of her life in Canada.

I was not feeding her stories eskimo, she looked up more info on this area, to be honest we only moved here because we couldn't afford to buy where we lived, House prices are very cheap here, I would move back home in an instant if we could.

Her brother lives in a huge house on his own, and she has more family in Somerset than here in Peterborough, I live in a little village no amenities rubbish buses etc.

Yes I am relieved because I work full time, odd hours, work weekends do not always get a day off, my partner has had a stroke and is older than me, he wouldn't be able to take her out and about so I wouldn't have the time to do everything I would like to do for her. So she can visit and stay with us, but not live.
  • grace68
    grace68 Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In my area, North Somerset, there are so many over 60's vacancies in social housing they can't give them away. don't think you need to be on waiting list or anything to qualify. it might be worth choosing her area and seeing what situation is there and in neighbouring areas.

gx
  • duffs54
    duffs54 Posts: 131 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    grace68 wrote: »
    In my area, North Somerset, there are so many over 60's vacancies in social housing they can't give them away. don't think you need to be on waiting list or anything to qualify. it might be worth choosing her area and seeing what situation is there and in neighbouring areas.

gx

Yes you are right, she has been in contact with some and they have more or less said she will be rehoused after her 3months, but getting more info everyday from my cousins who have more time on their hands than me it seems, which is good.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure