We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Aged Aunt returning to UK from Canada

Options

Comments

• duffs54
    duffs54 Posts: 131 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    edited 23 January 2015 at 9:13AM
    Options
    Wow thank you all for your advice and helpful links, I will send her the info you have given and as she does have a laptop she can access the links herself, I would really like to send her this link so she can read for herself but that might be a bit mean.

She has one son who isn't really in contact, her ex hubby, refused to pay her maintenance and owes her over 250,000 dollars and wont pay all his assets as I understand it were in his 2nd wife's name, very complicated, she has loads of friends and a good social life. Her brother is over 90 who lives in Somerset, he has 2 kids and they have families, I live in Cambs just me and my partner small 2 bed house, my brother is living in France with his wife.

I think she feels she needs to come back as she wants to be near family,

So a big thank you to all of you off to email her now xxxx
  • duffs54
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Well after giving her further info, she is still intent on coming here, she has now purchased her ticket, but I have sent her the local paper link and she is horrified about the area, and even quoted a woman who said it is the worst place to live in England, Peterborough being the place, we live in a village 15miles away no facilities etc, but this might make her choose to live with her brother. we will see.
    Thanks again folks x
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If she is horrified about Peterborough then I shudder to think what she would make of cities like Manchester, Bradford, Sheffield etc.

I am not saying they are awful places but cities nowadays are not what she remembers from sixty years ago and neither are the values or pace of life.

Wishing you the very best of luck and hoping for your sake she decides on staying with her brother as more of her age group etc.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • duffs54
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Just in case you are interested, after reading a lot more about the area and my concerns about her wandering around areas that could be dodgy at her age, she has decided to live with her brother in Somerset and also settle there, phew so relieved, she can come and visit whenever she wants, thanks all x
  • specialboy
    specialboy Posts: 1,436 Forumite
    Options
    Don't mean to sound harsh but I hope she is put back on the first plane home if her health deteriorates and she needs a care home,
  • AnxiousMum
    AnxiousMum Posts: 2,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having moved here from Halifax ourselves 12 years ago....I can see why she wants to leave! It's a gorgeous place, and the people are absolutely amazing. But.....it can also be a very lonely place if you have no family - especially if elderly and not able to get out and about in the bitter cold. Basically from October to April it can be icy roads/paths, and I don't imagine she would get out much.

I don't understand though why she would not be in receipt of her Canada/Quebec CPP pension if she came here?

Even if she owned her home in Halifax, the difference in real estate values is unbelievable - a paid for house in Halifax wouldn't even equate to a decent deposit on a place here - hence why we are renting! We had a gorgeous three story and basement home, 5 bedrooms, play room, living room, office and extension for a business, on 22 acres on a lake just outside of Halifax.....it wasn't worth selling as it wouldn't even convert to a decent down payment on a house here for our family.

I hope that whatever she decides, it ends up being the right choice for her.
  • eskimo26
    eskimo26 Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    duffs54 wrote: »
    Just in case you are interested, after reading a lot more about the area and my concerns about her wandering around areas that could be dodgy at her age, she has decided to live with her brother in Somerset and also settle there, phew so relieved, she can come and visit whenever she wants, thanks all x

So basically your relieved after feeding her stories about how bad the area is she took the bait. ;)

Peterborough is hardly the Hood. :rotfl:
  • AngelOfTheNorth
    Options
    specialboy wrote: »
    Don't mean to sound harsh but I hope she is put back on the first plane home if her health deteriorates and she needs a care home,

She won't be, what with being a British citizen and all.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    specialboy wrote: »

As she is a British citizen and holds a British passport legally "home" is the UK so your post makes no sense.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • specialboy
    specialboy Posts: 1,436 Forumite
    Options
    Home isn't the UK, she has made Canada her home for the last 60 years and paid nothing into the uk pot in that time, why should the rest of us who have stuck around and kept the country going with our taxes have to support her? It's Canada's job. (Th
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport