We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Aged Aunt returning to UK from Canada

Options

Comments

• SnooksNJ
    SnooksNJ Posts: 829 Forumite
    Options
    duffs54 wrote: »
    Can any one help please, my 83yr old Aunt is returning to the UK, from Canada, she is still a British citizen.

She reapplied for a passport to come over for a holiday and within the info she was sent, the British Gov said that we welcome British Citizens back to the UK.

So now she wants to move here, I have contacted housing associations and Social housing in my area and also where her Brother lives in Somerset and it appears that as long as she lives here for 3months and shows she has Dr's , bank account etc she can move back and get a home.

She is looking for a studio or 1 bed property, but it will have to be paid for by someone, will she be able to get benefits etc please.

She hasn't lived here for 60yrs but feels Halifax where she lives now is to cold and hostile in winter for her old age.

Any help or advise will be great thank you lots
    If Grandma doesn't like coldness I don't think the UK is the place to move to. A soft border with the land of hope and change would make Arizona or Florida a much better choice.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Is there an agreement between the two countries that her Canadian pension will stop because she will be entitled to claim UK benefits - vague recollection of reading something about this.

If not, why is her Canadian pension stopping? If I went to live in Canada, I could keep claiming my UK pension (although I wouldn't be entitled to any increases over the years).

There is an agreement between Canada and the UK but it would not cover this situation, nor would it bypass the HRT.

A Canadian pension can usually be claimed overseas. I would also question why the OP believes it will cease.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Information here for thise over pension age from AGEUK

Entitlement is not straightforward and some thigs like NHS treatment may not be immediately available

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/FS25_Returning_from_abroad_fcs.pdf?dtrk=true
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Being a British Citizen won't hold much weight for your Aunt....she has been out of the country an entire lifetime.... As it stands she won't be entitled to NHS non emergency health care so can she afford to pay privately for GP appointments. Private prescriptions and dental care?...The council are in no position to except her name onto the waiting list until if ever she is deemed habitually resident...and then there are the benefit side of things which again are dependent on her being deemed Habitually Resident.....Are you prepared to house her and support her financially if she has no savings?
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I second the opinion of 'Don't do it!'

Dealing with elderly people can be a thankless and stressful task.

I am trying to help my own aged parent with officialdom and form filling etc. and they simply don't understand what is being asked of them. Or worse, they remember how things used to work in the pre-computer days, when all offices were fully staffed by permanently employed people who knew your case. They become bewildered when having to answer what they think are irrelevant or duplicated questions, and can get a bit of a strop on and refuse to co-operate. That's what has happened to me anyway :(
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 January 2015 at 3:13PM
    Options
    http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/FS25_Returning_from_abroad_fcs.pdf?dtrk=true

The above is for people of pension age returning to the UK from abroad,

Does your aunt have a state/private pension in Canada?
    http://www.historymuseum.ca/cmc/exhibitions/hist/pensions/cpp-m2000_e.shtml
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    What a dreadful situation for you! I presume she has no living children?
    I also wonder if her brother would be better able to explain the situation to her?
    I'm afraid that I can see you & her brother ending up very liable for her.

It is such a shame that she feels this way, I wonder if she has the beginnings of mild dementia or depression, is unhappy where she is, and sees the country she left in her youth is the answer?

Do you or her brother have contact with her friends, community, healthcare providers in Canada; are you get any idea of what is going on?

I realise that if she is in perfectly good mind, this sounds a bit patronising. However, I can't help feeling that she has not considered this realistically.
  • AngelOfTheNorth
    Options
    She's going to fail the habitual residence test initially, so won't be entitled to anything at all for probably a couple of months. It isn't going to be a case of her getting off the plane and being looked after. The British passport will allow her to enter, but not much else. I would expect to be supporting her at least in the short term...

In terms of housing, it's not true to say that she will get somewhere but equally, there are a number of areas of the country where elderly people can access studios and 1 beds specifically for over 55s fairly quickly. I'm in the north west and supply of those broadly meets demand in my area. Small social housing properties without age restrictions are increasingly hard to get, but that's not necessarily so for the elderly. She would do well to research her area carefully. As always with social housing, there's no uniform national picture.
  • SandraScarlett
    Options
    Goodness, you're certainly between a rock and a hard place, aren't you, and I'm very sympathetic. However, whichever way you look at this, you and your brother would be the ones who would have their lives affected most.

The GB your aunt left behind in the mid 1950s, in the Call The Midwife days, when she was 23, is probably what she is thinking of, and couldn't be more different to modern times.

Regarding the wonderful world of form filling, and contacting "the authorities", I consider myself to be organised and on the ball, but since my DH died, just before Christmas, I have found myself continuously making phone calls that require me having to press buttons that give umpteen options.

Naturally, by the time I've reached option 8, I haven't a clue what options 1 - 7 were! I'm younger than your aunt, and I've had to redial so many times to hear the options, and this is either going to be what your aunt will need to do - or you.

Your intentions are to be applauded, but you really need to give this a huge amount of consideration. Supposing your aunt became ill. Would you be prepared to care for her 24/7? I wish you all the luck in the world, but whether or not she receives benefits is the least of your worries.

xx
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does she have any family in Canada. Just wondering why she's so set on such a huge upheaval at her time of life.
    If her private rental is so bad, why can't she find another one? Maybe in a bit of Canada that's slightly less cold, (if there is one,)
    There has to be more to it than bad housing. Does she have money worries she thinks will be solved by the British benefit system? Is she becoming old and frail, scared of being isolated, so clinging to the only family she has in the hope you'll be there for her?
    I think if you can, you need to have a talk about her real reasons. Because I suspect they're different to the ones you've had so far.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure