Aged Aunt returning to UK from Canada

Options
Can any one help please, my 83yr old Aunt is returning to the UK, from Canada, she is still a British citizen.

She reapplied for a passport to come over for a holiday and within the info she was sent, the British Gov said that we welcome British Citizens back to the UK.

So now she wants to move here, I have contacted housing associations and Social housing in my area and also where her Brother lives in Somerset and it appears that as long as she lives here for 3months and shows she has Dr's , bank account etc she can move back and get a home.

She is looking for a studio or 1 bed property, but it will have to be paid for by someone, will she be able to get benefits etc please.

She hasn't lived here for 60yrs but feels Halifax where she lives now is to cold and hostile in winter for her old age.

Any help or advise will be great thank you lots

Comments

• Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Has she got a home in Canada she can sell to pay for one in this country?
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,986 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    duffs54 wrote: »

she can move back and get a home.

Slight correction. She will be eligible to apply for social housing. And go on the bidding waiting list along with everyone else. What priority she will get will depend on her individual circumstances.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • dandelionclock30
    dandelionclock30 Posts: 3,235 Forumite
    edited 20 January 2015 at 10:20AM
    Options
    I think so but she needs to check with the DSS and the pensions regarding what she is entitled to.What she will get will depend on her savings and what she has paid in for her pension. She can email them or phone.
    Also its really really hard to get a 1 bedroomed property at the moment as everyone wants one due to the bedroom tax. So she could be years without one.
    At her time of life she needs to really consider if this is the best for her as being potentially homeless and having to explain herself lots of times to get her benefits sorted would be really stressfull.
    Would you be prepared to have her living with you for years if not for good because that's what the reality would be. Shes probably better off staying where she is in Canada and getting support there if that is what she needs.
  • duffs54
    duffs54 Posts: 131 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Sadly Money Maker, she is rented and it is damp, she has asthma so suffers, she has a dehumidifier on most of the time, another rubbish private landlord.

Elsein, she has been told by a housing assoc that studio apartments are easier to get as nor many people like them, allegedly !

Dandelionclock30, she will have her Canadian pension for 3 months, then will have to rely on benefits, she has set her heart on coming back and my brother and I are trying to make her see Britain has changed greatly over the years.

We are happy for her to stay until she gets sorted, but we only have a small two bed house so I fear it will be very stressful for all.

Thank you all, I will try and find out more about the benefits she will receive, she hasn't paid into any pensions etc as she hasn't worked here for over 60yrs.

cheers
  • dandelionclock30
    dandelionclock30 Posts: 3,235 Forumite
    edited 20 January 2015 at 11:30AM
    Options
    Wishing her all the best. You could ask the Housing Association about how long she would most likely be waiting for a place as an estimate. I honestly think though as things are she will be living with you for the rest of her life.
    You need to consider how you would manage with her and possibly ending up as her carer if her health deteriorates. I'd be looking into whats available for elderly people in your area like luncheon clubs, groups, the church etc if shes into any of these also.
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think your Aunt will have to pass the Habitual Residence Test

Click to read this link...
  • tea-bag
    tea-bag Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    NYM wrote: »
    I think your Aunt will have to pass the Habitual Residence Test

Click to read this link...

This.

She won't be entitled to anything unless commitment is made eg buying a property.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    If your relative hasn't lived in the UK for 60years, would she qualify for UK benefits as she wouldn't have paid anything in to the system? How is she surviving at the moment in Canada?

Is there anyone in the family that she could move in with? Does she have savings?
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,341 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can any one help please, my 83yr old Aunt is returning to the UK, from Canada, she is still a British citizen.

She reapplied for a passport to come over for a holiday and within the info she was sent, the British Gov said that we welcome British Citizens back to the UK.

So now she wants to move here, I have contacted housing associations and Social housing in my area and also where her Brother lives in Somerset and it appears that as long as she lives here for 3months and shows she has Dr's , bank account etc she can move back and get a home.

She is looking for a studio or 1 bed property, but it will have to be paid for by someone, will she be able to get benefits etc please.

She hasn't lived here for 60yrs but feels Halifax where she lives now is to cold and hostile in winter for her old age.

Don't do it!

She would need proof of address in the UK in order to open a bank account, and so she would need her home here first. But by the sound of things she would need proof of a bank account in order to apply for social housing...

As for getting an income: she has clearly not paid into the pensions system so would need to claim benefits (Pension Credit, I think), and would probably be refused for this since she is coming from abroad. (It is unlikely that she would pass the Habitual Residence Test.)

The whole thing would be really stressful: the kind of bureaucratic nightmare that could well kill her. A sad way to end a long life.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    she will have her Canadian pension for 3 months

Is there an agreement between the two countries that her Canadian pension will stop because she will be entitled to claim UK benefits - vague recollection of reading something about this.

If not, why is her Canadian pension stopping? If I went to live in Canada, I could keep claiming my UK pension (although I wouldn't be entitled to any increases over the years).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure