Tax Credits and childcare vouchers

My sister gets childcare vouchers through her pay (£243 per month worth).

She is now in the position where she needs to claim tax credits and I think that she is better off claiming childcare help through tax credits instead of vouchers.

Is it just a matter of cancelling the vouchers through her employer and filling out the tax credits form with the full amount that she has to pay each week for childcare?

Many thanks


  • Loobysaver
    I've had a look through the notes and it looks like she would be better off claiming the tax credits. Her childcare is around £700 per month for one child.

    I just wasn't sure and also wanted to check if she could just cancel the vouchers straightaway and then claim the childcare part of tax credits or if she had to wait until the new tax year.
  • Loobysaver
    Thank you, I didn't realise you could do both.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards