🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Carers Allowance Renewal Form, Is there such a thing?

Options
If someone claims carers allowance is it just paid indefinitely till a change of circumstances is reported or do the DSS send out a 'Renewal Form' at various intervals.

Thank you

Comments

• Horseunderwater
    Options
    Paid until you tell them no longer needed. ie someone u care for dies/goes into a care home etc.
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,786 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you
    One more question please

If a person has been fraudulently claiming and has to repay plus the fine they will get, what happens if this person has no income at all.

If they are living with a partner is this partner liable in any way if they knew nothing about the other person making a fraudulent claim?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    swingaloo wrote: »
    Thank you
    One more question please

If a person has been fraudulently claiming and has to repay plus the fine they will get, what happens if this person has no income at all.

If they are living with a partner is this partner liable in any way if they knew nothing about the other person making a fraudulent claim?

which begs the question...have you been?(making a fraudulent claim that is?)
  • bloolagoon
    bloolagoon Posts: 7,973 Forumite
    Options
    woodbine wrote: »

I don't think its them they have reported someone else for fraud :)
    Tomorrow is the most important thing in life
  • swingaloo
    Options
    woodbine wrote: »

Most definitely not. Now can you answer my question?
  • bloolagoon
    Options
    Most definitely not. Now can you answer my question?

My understanding is that for fraud they will look singularly at the claimant, however, any fines, repayment they will look at the households ability to pay.

So the oblivious working partner won't be accused of fraud but quite possibly will be the one that ends up paying :(

I want to be wrong but I think that's correct. Ive seen court papers and it asks for household income, expenses and savings.
  • swingaloo
    Options
    bloolagoon wrote: »
    My understanding is that for fraud they will look singularly at the claimant, however, any fines, repayment they will look at the households ability to pay.

So the oblivious working partner won't be accused of fraud but quite possibly will be the one that ends up paying :(

I want to be wrong but I think that's correct. Ive seen court papers and it asks for household income, expenses and savings.

Thank you for the reply. That's just what I didn't want to hear, hopefully he will throw her out before this ever gets to the court stage!
  • bloolagoon
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. That's just what I didn't want to hear, hopefully he will throw her out before this ever gets to the court stage!

I know, I hope I'm wrong too
  • racon
    racon Posts: 220 Forumite
    Options
    If someone claims carers allowance is it just paid indefinitely till a change of circumstances is reported or do the DSS send out a 'Renewal Form' at various intervals.

Thank you

Hey CA is the only benefit that you can claim, but that you do not have to prove you are entitled to it. Likewise it will continue in payment until you close it down. There are no reviews, it is based purely on the honesty factor. As such, it will be very difficult to prove by the DWP that it should not be in payment. Unless either/both the cared for person and/or the claimant admit that caring for 35 hours a week did not happen.
  • swingaloo
    Options
    In this case the person who it was being claimed for hasn't seen the claimant for over 3 years!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport