BMW/Mini relationship suddenly turned sour

Options
In September 2011 I got a new mini on a finance agreement from the BMW showroom in Thames Ditton. I was advised to get the minor repair insurance by the sales person as it meant that any damage to the bodywork or minor accidents meant that I could claim off it without having to claim off my main insurance. A year on I attempted to cancel as I didn't think I actually needed it but I was told I couldn't as it ran for 3 years.

Well I have just returned the vehicle to vehicle logistics who picked it up and eventually they sent me a £155 final bill. Interesting since in the 4 years I had the car I never had any accidents or any issues.

They said there were various bumps and dents etc I said okay fine how about the insurance I took out which was part of my monthly payments and which I paid until December even though the policy expired in September. They have said that I need to contact the insurer (inchcape) separately. I am sensing a goal post shifting situation here and I am not going to stand for it.

At the back of my mind I thought this would happen but I decided to give BMW (they own Mini) the benefit of the doubt and now everyone is being all vague on the phone and sending aggressive letters stating "default of debt" even though I go the final bill on the 17th.

Advice please.

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just my opinion, but I suspect you may not have a leg to stand on.

You took out an insurance policy that would have paid to repair minor dents and scrapes. But you handed the car back to them with dents and scrapes still on it, rather than getting it fixed before you handed it back.

It's now too late to claim on the insurance, because you don't have the car any more.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kikilamour wrote: »

They said there were various bumps and dents etc I said okay fine how about the insurance I took out which was part of my monthly payments and which I paid until December even though the policy expired in September. They have said that I need to contact the insurer (inchcape) separately. I am sensing a goal post shifting situation here and I am not going to stand for it.

At the back of my mind I thought this would happen but I decided to give BMW (they own Mini) the benefit of the doubt and now everyone is being all vague on the phone and sending aggressive letters stating "default of debt" even though I go the final bill on the 17th.

Advice please.

Why on earth would you think that BMW Finance would be the same company as Inchcape group insurance and that they'd just sort it out among themselves? :eek:

The time to get the dents sorted was when you still were in possession of the car NOT after you've handed it back to the finance company.

I'm sensing a lack of understanding on your part, and certainly not a goal shift on theirs.
  • Apples2
    Apples2 Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    Options
    So for three years you had insurance cover to repair any dents or scratches but now three months after the insurance expired, you expect them to pay for all the dents and scratches?

Good luck in not standing for it.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Apples2 wrote: »
    So for three years you had insurance cover to repair any dents or scratches but now three months after the insurance expired, you expect them to pay for all the dents and scratches?

Good luck in not standing for it.

:eek:

Hadnt spotted the insurance had expired three months ago.

O/P - are you having a laugh?

Is this some sort of new years joke thread?
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If thats all they want £155 I would be rubbing my hands with joy.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport