any dentists around

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
5 replies 840 views
worried123worried123 Forumite
462 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
I didnt know where to post this so thought health and beauty?
I also know that to post on this forum about a tooth is a bit weird but I have always had good advice from this website.....so here goes.

About 4 weeks ago I had a gold onlay on an upper back tooth which really shouldnt still be in my mouth - I had the root filled several years ago and the tooth decided to break down as i couldnt afford a crown at the time....part of the tooth broke at the gum line so a crown was not possible....we went through the options of a denture (heaven forbid!) an implant (am i really that rich) or a bridge (do i really want good teeth either side ground down with crowns put on them and am i still that rich).....so a gold onlay...........all fitted and all fine.....

Yesterday it fell out when i was chewing chewing gum......very scary.........my problem now is that my dentist isnt there until probably next week.....a private dentist on her own....so obviously shut for the festive season......

The small part of tooth appears to be sealed with a filling etc....but i am panicking about bacteria and germs.....i am keeping it clean and mouth rinsing regularly and there is no pain or anything but then the tooth is dead.......what has come off seems to be like a gold cover for teh tooth that covers all over it and up the sides.......just fits on top.........

I dont want to go elsewhere as I know that my own dentist will not charge me anything to replace it and as silly as it sounds because it has fallen out - she is also a very good dentist.....i have never had anything before break or fall out before this.......

I think she will be open again on monday 5th - do you think that leaving it for what will be a whole week will be okay......it seems okay - before the onlay was fitted she redid the root filling and removed any existing decay and it appears to be all sealed with a filling.......it is essentially a stump......

I am really scared......so bad with things like this and freaking about infection etc......

I dont know whether there are any dentists around....i know there is a forum member called toothsmith...

Toothsmith - help - where are you.......

Many thanks indeed

Replies

• brook2jackbrook2jack Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    All dentists, private or nhs, will have arrangements to deal with emergencies during the festive season.

Ring tomorrow and you should be directed (perhaps by ansaphone message) to someone who, at the least, will give you advice. It may well be your dentist , but if not at least you will get reliable advice.

If you are on denplan,practise plan etc emergency treatment is covered by the insurance with a small excess to pay.
  • ToothsmithToothsmith Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What she said!
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • worried123worried123 Forumite
    462 Posts
    ✭✭
    Many thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I dont have any dental insurance and when I rang the practice today there was no answer with the phone just constantly ringing and I fear they have forgotton to put on the answerphone telling us what to do in an emergency.

I suppose that i was hoping that somebody would tell me not to angst too much and the tooth will be fine until they are open again which i suspect will be next monday the 5th.
  • brook2jackbrook2jack Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Our practice also puts up emergency arrangements in the window in case of power cuts etc. alternatively when we open over Christmas its with a skeleton staff so sometimes it takes a time to answer the phone.

The nhs will also have an emergency service you can access , try the non urgent emergency number 111 for details.
  • worried123worried123 Forumite
    462 Posts
    ✭✭
    Many thanks. I just rang again to see whether they had been busier ealier and have since put on the answerphone but they havent.

I dont really want to ring 111 as i am in no pain or discomfort and it would seem a bit extreme.....i will just hope that all will be fine until she is open again. (i shall not eat on that side and will continue to use mouthwash regularly) It was oviously a huge oversight not to put the answerphone on - It is usually always on when they are closed.

Thank you again for helping....very grateful.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals