Carpet quote - standard practice

Hi,
I am in the process of getting quotes for carpet fitting and I had a question about standard practice.

I measured the rooms as being 50m2 but one of the firms came to measure and told me that I actually needed 60m2, due to the fact that there would be some wastage (because of standard roll width etc).

So, they have re-quoted me on the basis of 60m2.

The thing is, they have also quoted me for 60m2 of underlay and 60m2 of fitting, rather than 60m2 for carpet, and 50m2 for underlay and fitting (which is what I expected).

Is that standard practice? I assume that they can cut the underlay to fit and so will only need the original 50m2 and they are only actually fitting 50m2 of carpet, even if they supply 60m2.

Just wondering whether that is standard practice.

Any thought would be appreciated.

Comments

• cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 17 December 2014 at 8:47PM
    I think you will be charged for 60m2 for fitting as the fitters actually have to cut this amount of carpet down to fit into your rooms. And if I remember correctly from when I had new carpets laid in my home earlier this year, the underlay was supplied in 15m2 rolls, so probably that's why they have quoted you for 60m2 as you will need 4 rolls as 3 wouldn't be enough.

The offcuts of carpet & underlay are of no use to the carpet fitters, so you will need to pay for the whole amount needed, including that that will be wasted.

There probably are some places that will price underlay by the single sqr metre, but it tends to work out a lot cheaper by the roll. You can save quite a bit of money by sourcing your own branded underlay in case you are not aware of this. When I was getting my carpets I sourced my own underlay, grippers & door bars online, which worked out at under half the price I'd have paid the carpet shop/fitter to supply.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • rev229
    rev229 Posts: 1,045
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    If you want to save money buy your underlay online. We paid a quarter of what the carpet company quoted!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure